Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Creative Photo no. 11


Thanks be unto Roger for hosting the Creative Photo again!

This was taken when taking a week off in Northern Minnesota, the land of Sky Blue Water (whenever the skies are blue, that is). This shot is at Lake Itasca, which is the headwater of the mighty Mississippi River. It is quiet and narrow. A big stream it seems here, you'd never suspect that it actually stretches 2,340 miles to Pilottown, LA.

The creativity in this shot is how the people here are quite small in the entire scheme of things. Itasca is one of 13,000 lakes in MN, not huge in itself but far larger that these rock climbers. You can even wade across here, but far too dangerous currents prevent that downriver. Tranquility abounds here, but the great river can be far from that (1993 Floods, Katrina). Yet the river set in place the founding of such great metropolises as the Twin Cities, St. Louis, Memphis and New Orleans. From a such a peaceful and inauspicious starting point...

18 comments:

leslie said...

I really like the soft, natural tones in this photo and yes, the people do look small in comparison to the grandeur of the scene. :D

Kimmie said...

Very nice Ralph! I love the deep sepia tones you used in this photo. Such a soft look. :-)

Good Luck! :-)

Blessings,
Kimmie

Lucy Stern said...

Nothing like the mighty Mississip.

Roger said...

What a grand shot Ralph! Your right the people in relation to the surroundings gives one the feeling of being surrounded by the vast beauty of nature.
Excellent accompanying info.

Linda said...

This is really, really nice Ralph. I'm not sure which I like better - the color tones or the contrast in size.

Good luck this week!

gmacomics said...

the tones are cool. love the effect.

Dogwood Daze said...

This has a definite nostalgic feel to me and reminds me of walks with my sisters along the long rocky beaches of New England while growing up.

Patti said...

I've never been to Minnesota. :-(

Or New Orleans, Memphis or L.A. or San Francisco or Omaha...

The Curmudgeon said...

13,000 lakes? They must have added some since they coined the slogan....

Lynn said...

I want to be there...now!

Lori Stilger said...

Hi, Ralph! Great shot - it reminds me of some my husband has of him and his cousins playing in the irrigation canals in OK in the 1950s. :) Water is one of those universal themes, I think....
I'm glad you liked my entry this week! :D Honestly? That was a straight shot, no filter or fooling. Just a different way to look at one of our Christmas decorations. :D
Have a WONDERFUL day!!!

Dianne said...

I love the warm glow.

Made me think of the movie - 'Stand By Me' - small boys surrounded by a very big world.

Bond said...

cool shot Ralph...

Nicely described also

lucy said...

Very nice shot...I love the soft tone of the photo. It is beautiful

Columbo said...

Good job, Ralph. I love the tones of the shot and the information that came with it.

Gattina said...

I have seen a part of the Mississipi river where it was quite large it is interesting to see where and how it starts !

genny said...

hmm very good entry.

Tink *~*~* said...

The earth-tone colors of the photograph are wonderful; gives a "yester-year" feeling to the photo.

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*