Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cleared to land


This is my entry for this week for Roger's Creative Photo. Looking at old prints again, and found this one somewhere in the 1908s. It is a US Air Firce C5-A cargo/transport, about the largest aircraft to grace the skies. Here it is on the final to Runway 24 at Bradley Field near Hartford, seemingly just above the tree line. I had purchased a 205mm lens for the K1000, and true to my name, I was looking for planes on approach to BDL.


I got a few, but this one is interesting because the actual size and speed seems to be masked. Something smaller would appear to be moving much faster, but that feeling can be deceiving due to the size. Even though at this point prior to touchdown it is traveling at about 165 MPH (265 kpH), and a landing weight of a svelte 300,000 + lbs. It was a cloudy day, so the gray plane almost blended into the dank sky. So I tried a negative of the original on Paint.net, and am pleased with the royal blue 'negative' .

Check out this week's outstanding other entries.

9 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

nice, I like the first one the best.

Roger said...

Those are awesome! My favorite is the royal blue to, it gives it a great feeling of how big this aircraft is. So cool to watch them land and take off.

napaboaniya said...

I think the royal blue is perfect for the aircraft soaring in the skies. Happy Creative Photography!!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Oh wow... It's huge! I love how the blue enhances the overall appearance!

Bond said...

I like the first one best...but ummm dude... the 1908's? I am hoping you meant the 1980's!

LOL

Gattina said...

It looks menacing to me ! Being an after war child, I hate all military things !

Dianne said...

a svelte 300,000 lol
you have a way with words ;)

love the top one. a great blend of machinery and art

Bob Johnson said...

Very cool, I love the second one, nice job!

Raven said...

Nice transformation. I like that blue a lot.