Sunday, September 14, 2008

Grandpa style


Isn't this great or what?! Grandpa (I am his namesake) looks excellent, stylish and like he was going to attack the back nine at the Steubenville Golf Club.

He didn't golf, but is resplendent in his relaxing duds circa 1955. A polo shirt with dress slacks pressed and pleated. Looks like a million. The picture was taken from the front of 1645 Oregon Ave in Dean Martin's hometown, the steel and coal city of Steubenville, Ohio.

He is standing in front of his work vehicle, I believe a 1955 Plymouth Plaza station wagon. I never saw his name applied to any of his other work vehicle, the last one purchased in 1975. He loved Chrysler products since 1937, and purchased from the same dealer, Pietro Di Novo & Sons on Third St. One of these dealers in a multi-story building with the cars coming up and down on a giant elevator (they are in the same place today selling Chrysler-Dodge). Imagine being a steady customer for 38 years in an era where a handshake meant everything in a relationship.

What a guy! I have blogged about him in the past, and am in the process of sifting through many old and faded prints, and will scan all of them eventually. Like the photo, he was much larger than life...

5 comments:

Roger said...

Granpa is looking good there and nice car to!

Darn Ralph I thought you would know what a Sca Dee was! It's hard to see but if you look at the tail section it is really narrow and then it gets bigger t words the end.

Some home made job then, really weird looking huh? LOL I don't think I would get in it. I didn't like riding in C-1 30's I sure the hell wouldnt get in that thing.

Thanks for commenting, all week long I will be posting a different aircraft.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I wish my parents had more pictures of my grandparents. thats a great pic.

Bond said...

GREAT photo...I have some old photos but not many of grandparents.

I am scanning all my old photos at the moment (thousands of them)...figured it was time to start

Jackal said...

Wonderful capture.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Nice photo! Great story... my husband works for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Auto.