Saturday, September 20, 2008

Retrospectively Ralph

I threatened the blog world that I would be scanning views of my past, and I am! Some of these views have been posted before, but we purchased a new printer, and am rescanning. I posted a great one of Grandpa last week, and I continue to live in the past...Some like the one on the left are from tiny prints, and don't scan well. This is my Grandfather (Ralph I) and Father (RV II) in I guess 1939, when my father was 12, in (of course to regular readers) Steubenville. To the right is the three of us in Brigantine in 1956, aged probably 16-18 months.

Ralphs I and II at the Pittsburgh airport, 1957. 'Casual Dress' to Grandpa meant a suit with no tie. Airplane etiquette meant a jacket and tie when traveling, so my dad donned the uniform . The TWA plane was a Martin 4-0-4, a slow propeller turning turbulence magnet no doubt!

To the right is Easter 1961 at our apartment at 203-11 42nd Avenue in Bayside, Queens NYC. I have vague memories of riding between Grandpa and Grandma going shopping (Alexanders?) for my Easter outfit but they were buying...Color prints from then seem to wash out, B&W hold up better
To the left, 1964, in Brigantine.

I am looking for other shots of the three of us, but this is when I graduated college in 1977. Grandpa was a highly intelligent man, but growing up in West Virginia, he was probably considered 'educated' there at through only eighth grade. But I was the first of the thirteen grandchildren to graduate, and he was happy.

In 1979, at my first apartment.


This is the last picture of the three of us. Sadly, this was the day of the wake for my grandmother Agnes, in January 1981. However, he always smiled for the camera. He passed away that August. Grandpa was one of a kind. I was named for Grandpa, but when our son was born, we named him Cameron. He never knew the patriarch, and the name wouldn't meant as much to Cam. For me, I am very happy to be named after him...

6 comments:

Patti said...

Three Ralves! horrors

Just kidding, Ralphie. Great post.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

It seems like such a real and mre innocent time. sometimes I wish we could go back to simple. a black and white world.

Mimi Lenox said...

Nicely done, Ralph. Wonderful photographs and what a tribute to your family. Cameron will one day cherish this post.

Geo8 said...

ySteubenville! In my genealogic researches I discovered most of my grandparents village (Spoltore, Abruzzo, Italy) migrants to the USA went to Steubenville in the first twenty years of 1900's.

Leora said...

Thanks for sharing your family with us.

Bond said...

I understand this connection and wish I had more shots of my grandfather (Ernest Vincent) Dad (Vincent Ernest) and me (Vincent Ernest Jr.), unfortunately my son (Matthew Vincent) never met his grandfather.

Great shots