Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Creative Photo #14 - Week 3


For this week's Creative Photo I am looking to my film archives. This was taken on that one occasion that I actually was able to take a trip to Florida during December 1980. It was cool to the natives, but this snowbird thinks that any day you can wear a cotton sweater around Christmas, it is a perfect day (it was -14F in Hartford that day). Armed with a simple Canon 50mm rangefinder, this shot was taken along the west side of the Intercoastal Waterway in Jensen Beach (Martin County). I remember this photo, and it jumped at me when I was looking through the book tonight.

To me, especially on the near shore, the shot looks as it might be an Impressionist's work - just as if the artist was just dabbing colors on canvas. It seems that way. I see the artist's detail in the clouds on the far side - the sort of sky you see over the ocean, just filtering over the beach. I like looking at this, a nice view of a perfect trip!

10 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

thats one good looking stump.

napaboaniya said...

A picture looking back 28 years ago is pretty cool. I'm sure this picture brought back memories :)

Gattina said...

It indeed looks like a painting, it makes me think more about a surrealistic painting because of the lonely stump ! Beautiful !

Patti said...

This photo looks great Ralphie!

Nice post about a time before I knew you. ;-)

Bond said...

Most excellent!

Linda said...

This isn't a painting? Wow! It sure looks like one!

Great shot - good luck with the contest!

Dianne said...

I like the 3 part contrast

first the stump and dry land

then the slightly choppy water
and finally

the color of the horizon

lovely

Roger said...

It is a very relaxing photo! Great job Ralph!!

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Um, I suggest Mr. Freud and Mr. Jung might have a field day with elements of this photo, Ralph. But, um, that's just me.

mark's tails said...

Seeing old shots like this makes me miss the great feel that film grain can give to photos.