Sunday, November 2, 2008

ADA Works


Last Thursday, I was invited to a luncheon for the ADACC (ADA Coalition of CT), and it was a really nice event. Given my status, you would have thought that I had attended many an event like this, but not really. As my employ now is at a Center for Independent Living, I went with the Executive Director who is on the board of the coalition. The main speaker was Dr. David Carter, the Chancellor for the CT State University System. He was a dynamic speaker, talking when he was the President of one of the state colleges he had to use a wheelchair for a time. We were regaled with the usual 'wheelchair wouldn't fit stories (and I have plenty of those as well). His main point was not just that things 'meet the code' but that everything disability needs to exceed the code. Not just in building codes, but in attitudes. An excellent speech.

I have always felt that hearts have to be changed, to be more accommodating regarding disabilities. Attitudes can change, but perhaps my place on earth is to be more of an emissary for those who don't know what to do - maybe I can guide them
toward the needed knowledge. I can only try...PS: I had the lasagna, and it was filled with yellow squash, carrots, broccoli, ricotta and tomato sauce. It was excellent!

4 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

It sounds like you had a nice time. I have never heard of having squash in my Lasagna.

Leora said...

perhaps my place on earth is to be more of an emissary for those who don't know what to do
That sounds wonderful. I find inspiration in your attitude.

And the lasagna sounds tasty, too!

Bond said...

Ralph...I think oyu have hit the nail on the head with your comment perhaps my place on earth is to be more of an emissary for those who don't know what to do.

What a great attitude. Glad you had a nice time and heard a great speech.

YUMMM Lasagna...

Linda said...

I don't know which sounds better here - your attitude or the vegetable lasagna!

Let's go with both!