Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Congratulations

Congratulations are in order to the new President of the United States: Barack Obama.

I voted differently, as I have noted. Unlike many that don't like the result, I am not going to say he is the president. As Senator McCain said in his concession speech, I see Obama as my president. One hopes for a general downplaying of the severe rhetoric of the campaign. Honestly, perhaps we can promote civil discourse. A dream, perhaps. As Americans, we need to get along. I wouldn't expect all to get along perfectly, but at least civilly.

Our 19 year old daughter Allegra was able to vote for President for the first time. Who says that college students are just aimless partiers? Not I, says this proud dad.

9 comments:

sari said...

I voted for Barack...and I'm excited about the future. But I'm also grateful for being able to have a vote, and if McCain would have won, I would have supported him. He has been, after all, our state senator for many years.

I remember the first election I vote in: Ronald Reagan won. I was 18.

Gattina said...

I don't know if it would be a comfort to you to know that ALL European countries and probably also the rest of the world think that it was a good choice. That's what I saw and read in the news here.
In any case it will be a very hard job to pull out America of the mess Bush has left.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i am waiting to see how far left he goes. if he swings to the middle some he will be my president, but if not, no, he won't. it's up to him.

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Patti said...

I wrote something about the election, but haven't posted it. If I do, I'll link to this post, my dear.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

To wish him luck and success is only in our best interest as americans and I hope people realize that.

Dianne said...

less rhetoric and more action is a good thing

I always respect your views Ralph. And your style and grace :)

Bond said...

Excellent post Sir...

I want him to be OUR President...

Together...Peacefully.

Kanani said...

I like your attitude. I also left a congratulations on my blog as well. He's our next President. And I'm SO grateful to live in a country where we can elect one of our own choice.

Catherine said...

I agree about how you welcome YOUR president.
I 've appreciated what Mac Cain said, something like : we BOTH love OUR country. They certainly do. Those words were very proper (I don't know if it's the good word but I'm sure your undertstand what I mean)