Saturday, November 8, 2008

Six Things That Make MeMe Happy

I was tagged by the extraordinary Duchess Linda of Norwich for the Six Things That Make Me Happy award. This award from this state's royalty came to her via Tina, and part of this is to present six things that make me happy.
If we allow ourselves to become whiny, complaining and self-woeful, we just might miss the important things, the people and events that enrich us, that make us thankful, and happy to be living. The operative here is happy. Yes, there may be obstacles for us to avoid or master, but we do and we are happy for being presented the challenge. And persevering. But it shouldn’t take a lot to make us happy. We see it in our normal life, but don’t pay attention to these. But with a prompt from Linda, it becomes clearer.To begin, six things that make me happy:

  1. To always have dinner with the lovely Patti. To talk about all things, great or not, mundane or impressive. To just linger and converse.
  2. The occasional contact with our kids in college. I spoke by phone with daughter Allegra today. You remember them when they were small, but how poised they become as they grow.
  3. My vehicle. Not so much per se about my Ford van with 140,000 miles, with beginning rust and a strong V8. But the freedom I have that allows me and wheelchair to drive places, to enjoy independence without always having to rely on others to get to those places.
  4. To try to create a tasty meal without a recipe and using what we have on hand. Give me chicken broth, celery, onions, butter and canned diced tomatoes with whatever meat, pasta or rice we might have on hand. It is nice to make something that is more than just edible, but tasty as well.
  5. My memories, and the photos that capture those memories. I am scanning many old photos these days, and seeing a particular moment jump at me, when the kids were little, or even when I was. I can say “I remember that!”.
  6. Our home. We have made the place wheelchair accessible everywhere with 36” wide doors, huge accessible bathroom with roll in shower, laminate floors for easy travel. We need many upgrades, and they will occur at some point. But I have access house wide…
There it is, six things (of so many) that make me happy. We shouldn’t complain, but recognize the things in our lives that leave us with a sense of contentment, the people that matter to us and the possibilities we face.

5 comments:

Paz said...

Wonderful list. Congrats on your award.

Paz

maryt/theteach said...

Congratulations, Ralph, you deserve this award! Good for you! :)

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

wonderful list ralph! heartwarming and sincere...

smiles, bee
xxooxoxoxxoxoxo

Linda said...

It really is the simple things in life tat make us happy - to be comfortable in our homes, to be able to create with our hands and other senses, to have a little bit of freedom, and to spend time with those we love. If you've got all of these, the rest is just the frosting on the cake or the gravy on the mashed potatoes!

Excellent job, Ralph! Wonderfully done!

Leora said...

A well-deserved award! I enjoy reading your 4 (posts like that always make me hungry). I share your 5. But for me, the right to complain is one of the things that does make me happy. One can appreciate the good and at the same time, wish and work to make the yucky stuff better.