Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankfullness

Thanksgiving Day is a holiday, but what should the day mean? There is the feast part, of course. And in our case, it was attended by the usual: Ralph, Patti, Allegra and Cameron. And the non-guests, Patti's mom and our old friend Bob were also here. The attendees were all here, and the food was as expected: Turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, whole cranberry sauce (homemade from whole berries), veggies, cider , Cabernet and Pinot Grigio. The usual on the last Thursday in November.

We break bread in thanks. For me, I am thankful to live in a country that encourages individual thought; That our kids are back from college for a long weekend; That we enjoy our health; That we are happy. It has been a tough year financially, we are semi-broke, but far from destitute. I ambulate in a power wheelchair, but that must not detract from my happiness. Yet in our travels, we see many that have a multitude of problems, physical and more. However, they as well, are glad to be alive and happy to live in a free society.

I am thankful and happy to be able to worship God, to have family and friends and have opportunities to pursue opportunity. It is important for me to be thankful and in awe of what I do have and can be. It should be every day, but it doesn't always happen. But today, to be set aside for giving thanks, and I absolutely do...

3 comments:

Linda said...

It would be nice if we could remember to give thanks for all that we have every day but alas, barring that, it's nice that there's a special day set aside each year when we not only remember to do that but also get the chance to enjoy a bit of a bountiful feast and the company of those we love.

Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving, Ralph - now onward and upward to Christmas!

Leora said...

A wonderful post of thanksgiving! Thank you for your beautiful words.

Catherine said...

Thanks to share your wisdom, Ralph.

When I attend Mass, I usually thanks for all that my family get. Otherwise that's true, we usually take all we get for granted, but, in fact, nothing do.