Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Remembrance


It is a special if not a bit solemn day. It is November 11, Veterans Day (US) and Remembrance Day (Canada). The eleventh month, eleventh day, eleventh hour in 1918, 'The War to End All Wars' (if only). It is a fine day on the green in Derby, Ct. Skies as blue as you hope, chilly but not freezing temperatures, and many vets on hand, many from WWII. Flags everywhere, the Derby High School chorus singing so nicely. What you hope to see, a remembering of all soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. All who fought for freedom.


Of note , Mayor Tony Staffieri of Derby spoke, himself a Purple Heart recipient in Vietnam. We must not forget ant vet's service, any war. Sadly, so many of the WWII vets are passing on. After the nine- gun salute, it was on to the lonely trumpet playing Taps. It is searing. The trumpeter today is Bernie, someone Patti knows from writing about local vets for the paper. He sounded crisp, and played Taps well. Unfortunately, he keeps in practice by playing at many veterans funerals...Let none of us forget. Ever.

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i never have been able to hear taps without crying... lovely post ralph.

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Jim said...

Thank you Ralph. I am an 'any vet' who didn't go off to war. But I did give up/lose five years of my life for the U.S. Thank you again.
And I don't regret it.
Oh yes, I learned a trade out of the deal.
..

Bond said...

Excellent post Ralph....What a wonderful program you attended

Terry said...

Dear Ralph
I never knew the history behind the date being November 11th for Remembrance Day and I never realized that America had Veterans Day until I saw it on Donna's blog.
This is so neat.
Although we see lots of poppies here in Canada, my heart so longs that we Canadians had the strong patriotism that the United States citizens do!
How I love your flag!
Your pictures of the stars and stripes fill my heart with happy tears.
Whenever we visit Buffalo, NY which is less than 30 miles from Welland, I am always interested in looking for the many porches that are displaying their flags[most always, never tattered but in good shape!]
On the fourth of July,my husband and I have our porch full of them!

Felisol has a very interesting post on her blog about the Norwegian flag.
Although I now like our Canadian flag, I will never forget February 15, 1965 the day that Canada changed our flag from the Canadian Royal Union Jack to the big maple leaf.
We chidren were taken outside to the school flagpole and for the last time, the Union Jack was lowered, never to be raised again and the Maple leaf red enseign white flag was raised in its place.
It was a cold Manioba winter's day, but it wasn't that which chilled my heart.
It was the sadness that I felt when my young heart realized that so many soldiers had fought and died under the Canadian Union Jack.
And now it was gone!
Oh the tragedy of the whole thing!

Catherine said...

Thanks for the tribute, Ralph and to remind your readers this Day.
Soldiers deserve it. Your American soldiers more than others.
In France, ARMISTICE Day is dedicated exclusively to WWI and its veterans.( We have the 06/06/44 and 05/08/45 end of the Occupation celebration, for WWII). There are no more french veterans of WWI alive. They've disappeared at more than 100 years old.
This year, President Sarkozy made a speech for the celebration, he got onto those soldiers who had been shot for refusing going back to the fight. I mean those who served some years and considering the horror of what they've seen during this time, refused to go back and were executed as traitors. I don't want to make a judgement here, they've already been judged, but I find what our President said was great : They were not cowards (they fight before doubting), they just arrived to an extremity of what they could support. (you have the idea).
Finally, they lost their life the same way. All that is tragedy.
My 2 great-grandfathers participated, they were still alive at the Armistice, and they were emotionelly very shocked of what they've experimented , according my parents. I can believe that reading their letters.