Saturday, December 13, 2008

Creative Photo - The Head of the Line


For this installment of Roger's fabulous Creative Photo, I am returning to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. This was taken at my favorite of all events, the equestrian show jumping. The horses were beautiful, with their beautiful coats and many with braided manes. The riders wore traditional English style wool riding outfits, despite the blasted heat and pollution at Santa Anita Park. And these riders and their horses worked as a team, the rider coaxing his hoofed team member who complied as the bar was raised, again and again.

This photo is as it was scanned, the motion natural. What I see, or don't see, is the rider's head as it is camouflaged by the shrubbery set around the obstacles. A 1980s version of The Legend of the Headless Horseman. Except my more modern take is on the West Coast, not in New York, and this rider did not lose his head literally, of course...

Visit Rogers site to see creative photo artists and their very creative artwork.

7 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

oh my the headless horsemen.

Roger said...

Headless or not it is a very cool action shot!

napaboaniya said...

I agree with Roger, it's a cool action shot of historical times :)

Bond said...

excellent action shot...very tough to do

Linda said...

That had to be something to be right there in person and be able to take a shot like this!

Enigma said...

You captured it at the perfect moment. Congratulations on a great shot!

Dianne said...

their legs always look so fragile to me, it makes me very anxious