Friday, December 19, 2008

Sky Pilot at Sunrise


I have been looking at the sky from below and above the horizon for most of my life. Thus, for Tish's great Looking at the Sky, I am re-posting this picture from decades ago onboard a Delta 727 between Atlanta and Philadelphia. This airplane departed 06:20 hours into a winter sky. I took this on film on only a 50mm rangefinder, and was not a staged photo. I see the bluest of a night sky in that last bit of twilight just before the dawn, which will shortly occur. Upon gazing on the orange glow, you are seeing the curvature of the earth in a gentle arc. I was tired with the airplane journey that began at 3:00, but this picture of early morn I never tire of...

2 comments:

Gattina said...

What an extraordinary picture !!

crazy working mom said...

Wow, aren't you a lucky man to get to see this beautiful shot in person. Thank you for capturing it for us as well.

Thank you so much for playing along. Your support is much appreciated!!!