Sunday, January 11, 2009

Creative Photo - Bridging the Fjord

For Roger's great Creative Photo, I offer this time the view on the westernmost tower of the splendid George Washington Bridge. Bridging the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey, this grand and stylish edifice was opened in 1931. The maze of highways leading to/from the span (I-95, I-80, Routes 1, 4, 9, 17, 46, various Parkways and the NJ Turnpike) make it the focal point for drivers. Much like the saying All Roads Lead to Rome, all roads seem to lead to the GWB!

True, it has a functional style, but in its normal state it is austere in its steel covered with gray paint (see ----->). For creative purposes, I made adjustments that add a warm bronze hue to the massive tower, as well as the high rise buildings of Fort Lee. The bronze also softens the view, taking the NYC edge off a bit. As for the title, the Hudson River is a fjord, and is salt water almost all the way to Albany, a distance of over 150 miles. Like the City, this bridge and river are bigger than life. Check out the other creative minded individuals at Roger's site!

9 comments:

Patti said...

You're so schmart. Really!
I love this post, Ralph. The photo came out great.

Roger said...

What a great bridge and a awesome photo of the bridge! I liked how you added the bronze hue it makes glow. Looking at the photo the suspension and the curve of the top support reminds me of a harp, cool angle!

napaboaniya said...

A magnificent structure of the bridge. It's a pleasure viewing it, especially when I don't have to tilt my head (kidding)!! :)

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Gorgeous image, iconic place, lush description, many thanks.

Linda said...

I was wondering just when it was the GW Bridge turned bronze - very cool affect for a very cool bridge (though I hate the cost of the toll coming back through from New Jersey!).

Julie said...

I love the effect bronzing gives to the bridge, very nice.

Catherine said...

Nicely done, Ralph. It gives the GWBridge a second youth !
Now, it looks like a vintage postal card post-colored as it was done in the 50's. I love ythis effect.

Thanks to make me meet Patti. We're new French friends now : )

dale said...

Ralph,
Nice treatment of this grand ol' bridge!

dale

Anna said...

Wow, this is so cool. Nice edit, makes the whole bridge look 'fantastic'. First time here, nice blog you have. Anna :)