Saturday, February 14, 2009

Creative Photo - The Olde School


I am giving 'the old college try' in this week's Creative Photo by Idaho resifent Roger - the pre-eminent photo artist in the Gem State (in my opinion, anyway!). I am using this time an old program for The Game, as it is known in these parts, That of course the perennial Ivy League rivals, Yale and Harvard. I modified the cover of this program into the pencil sketch adjustment mode. I like this because it looks as if this artwork seems to be chiseled into stone. Much like the classic Greeks and Romans, tradition should be upheld and not taken for granite (okay, that was bad!). Nobody could lift the program if each page was chiseled in stone...
I worked again with the Curves feature at Paint.net
The effect is such that the cover was drawn in neon paint, and the red tones look cool - and with no insult intended, even though red is the color of Harvard, not Yale...

Patti's father was a statistician for Yale sports for many years. A carton of these old Yale programs survived the fire, but have water damage. Cameron rescued these gems before they were thrown out. This from 1956 looks to be the oldest in the collection that remains. These programs show the more innocent times of college athletics, not the huge buiness of today. College Athletes...what a novel and innocent concept these days...

8 comments:

Roger said...

You have great opinions Ralph, thank you! Wow I like the edits too, the program you used for chiseled look is close to the GIMP program embossing which is one of my favorites and I use quite often on Rogers White Album. I will have to check out the Paint.net the hues came out great even if ya got some red on Yale lol. Great keepsake articles!!

napaboaniya said...

The edits you've done are pretty cool, I've got to practice more on my curves. I seem not able to achieve the looks I want whenever I try curves.

I shall try it out for next's week CP :P

storyteller said...

Intriguing transformation. I've never tried to use Paint.net but I've added it to my list for when time permits ... just because ;--)
I played at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Patti said...

thanks for posting about my father, Ralphie.
He truly loved being a statisician for many Yale sports events over the years: football, basketball track and field, swimming...

And he did it all as a volunteer.

Linda said...

I am totally lost when it comes to picture editing on Paint.net or pretty much any other photo-editing program but I'd have to say that you did a great job here (in spite of turning Yale red!).

It's good that Cameron was able to save a couple of the old programs; I'm sure they bring back lots of memories for Patti.

Julie said...

I haven't used paint before either. The results are very interesting.

maryt/theteach said...

Great job, Ralph! I guess I know who you would root for in The Game... :) I have a photo up for Creative Photography today...

Anonymous said...

www.100datingwebsites.com