Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Where ya been?


For The Teach's Sepia Scenes, I am drawing from the past this week...

I've had this picture in my files forever it seems. And this is the question: Who the heck are Phil and Marty?! The note on the back says Phil is 3 and Marty 2. Unsure of the date, but I believe it to be Post-Vaudeville...by how much, I don't know. There is something about the suit short set, straw hats and two-tone Buster Brown shoes, but I sure can't describe it...but can anyone??


To the right, if I said anything untoward about the sartorial splendor of Phil and Marty, I take it back! Check out my 1961 Bayside Easter outfit if you dare! The only difference in our styles is the fact that I am wearing a sort-of sea captain's hat, and Phil and Marty’s straw hats. I think that my grandparents bought me this outfit at that great NYC area department store Alexanders. The other styles of the past include Michele (faux fur), and Claudia (hat with ribbons).

Ah, the charms of sepia from a bygone era...

18 comments:

Leora said...

Such wonderful children. You were just adorable, Ralph. I love Michele's laugh.

dot said...

I can see you have a sense of humor!

Both picture are cute. In the second picture the dress looks strange to me...the girls in coats and you in short pants. I guess that was the style. Happy looking children!

ramblingwoods.com said...

I think I had a coat like that. These are great...Michelle

Mojo said...

Is it just me or did anyone else think that was a flat-screen TV behind Phil and Marty?

Truly, these might have been unedited images and nobody would have known different! Great choices!

Mary said...

Your hat is much cooler than the straw hats of Phil and Marty :-) Love the faux fur! This sure brings back my own childhood.

napaboaniya said...

Fashion statements of back then.
Nothing beats viewing old photographs in sepia bringing out the vintage feel in them.

Carletta said...

Phil and Marty are two of the cutest little guys! Happy little boys.
I'm laughing at Mojo and the flat screen TV thought, but why is the painting placed there?
Ralph, you and Michele and Claudia are also a happy little crew.Very cute.
Your words were perfect - 'sepia charm.'

Robin said...

Aww... I think your little bow tie is adorable.

ilanadavita said...

What a wonderful choice for this meme! Fine photos.

splummer said...

HI!
Great photos! You all are very adorable children! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Melli said...

Well, I sure can't help ya out with who they are! But they are adorable! And so were you!

maryt/theteach said...

These are incredible shots, Ralph! I can't believe you've got a very similar outfit to Phil and Marty. Do you really not know who those kids are? Oh that would kill me - not knowing! Happy Sepia Scenes! :)

Your EG Tour Guide said...

AWE! Who woulda thought you were once that cute, Ralph? ;-)

Catherine said...

At least, their name are noted on the back ! What a chance to get these pictures. They're both reminders of an other time.
You're all so cute in your "costumes", and your smiles are delicious, they mean a time of innocence.

Mamapippa said...

Really old sepia !
Lovely !

Annie said...

Too cute.

Dianne said...

I love the straw hats boys!!

and the excitement of new Easter outfits, I remember how we would look forward to dressing up

PJ said...

I see these old photos and all I can think is how much work went into washing and ironing those clothes. Mom's worked hard back in the day! And you're adorable.