Wednesday, February 11, 2009

People's Car


I am blessed to be able to use my wheelchair and be able to drive these days. In the old days, I really liked to drive a car, not the barn sized van behemoth like now. Something that was small, lively and really fun to drive. I present the absolute best car I have owned, my 1982 VW Rabbit. It had what I can't use now, and that is a manual transmission...with a clutch pedal. I miss shifting for myself, and over the 101,000 miles I owned the car it averaged 30 MPG. And with good tires, it was a blast to drive on a twisty road.

In these pictures from 1982, the car was only two months new, and like most guys in their 20s, I washed it every week - winter included. And the color I loved, it was beige, a color that you don't see anymore (it really hid the dust!). I would have kept it, but it was the older of the two VWs we owned, each having two doors, and we were expecting Allegra and we sold it for a station wagon. Which is the usual course of action when space for the family mattered more...

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I remember that car, it was very common to watch some on our roads.
Friends and my grand-father got one.

Even cars were a European model !
You surprise me. With a manual transmission ! It must be rare in your country. For us it's the opposite, all cars get manual transmission.

Linda said...

One of my ex-husband's friends always had a VW Rabbit and he said the more miles the better!

Now that you mention it, you're right - there are no beige cars anymore. What's up with that?

Bond said...

Remember them well...never owned one, but I do remember that car you washed every week,...

Roger said...

A good car! My first was a Pinto I never kept a photo of it lol! Great post!