Monday, February 9, 2009

Ruby Tuesday - Affairs of the heart


(This is an edited re-post of last year's Valentines Day. This of course for Mary's Ruby Tuesday. Who said that sentimentality is dead??)

As it is the Valentines holiday, I am happy to reminisce of this day in years yore. When I was a kid, it seems that I never received many of these valentine hearts, not unlike Charlie Brown who always yearned for one from the red h
aired girl. As much as I enjoy Snoopy, he got a mailbox full of these heart shaped treasures instead. Sigh.

Be that as it may, I rather enjoy this holiday as a grown-up, or
at least since 1985, when I was swept off my feet by the ever lovely Patti. That year, the very first of this holiday for us, we went to a long gone restaurant in Guilford called Westwinds. I knew the piano player, and the piano was next to the fireplace which was roaring. Patti requested from said piano man the Rodgers and Hart song My Funny Valentine. It is a great song - "You make my smile with my heart". We like old romantic songs (my request was the great Satin Doll). But was it the warm fire, red wine and a piano? These were nice things, but the more important thing was we were becoming closer and closer. It was a great day, and that continues.

But one thing is different this year...my favorite florist, Daisy Dock in Derby, had a fire in 2007 and is no longer in
business. They were the best around at creating those fine petal arrangements that I could surprise Patti with.

Perhaps we can reminisce (over a nice romantic meal) of the fine February 14th days of the past while looking forward to more. It may be an artificial holiday to some, but not for me...

21 comments:

Dora said...

A beautiful combination of flowers. :)

Happy RT and have fun!

Felisol said...

Dear Ralph,
you are the man women dream of. So attentive and sensitive.
I bet your Pattie is the luckiest of wives.
I wish you both the best.
From Felisol

Carletta said...

Lilies, and roses, and carnations -a beautiful arrangement of blooms.
Felisol is right you know - I've always thought from your posts you were a truly sensitive guy and not afraid to show it! You can almost 'hear' it when you mention Patti.
I have a feeling Patti wouldn't care if the flowers came from the filling station! :)
Hope you both have a lovely Valentine celebration.

Mojo said...

And all this time I was giving credit for My Funny Valentine to Miles Davis...

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Lets move to Utah so you can have more than one wife. Will you be mine.....

Your EG Tour Guide said...

What a nice post, Ralph. Patti is one very lucky woman. '-)

ilanadavita said...

What a great husband you are! Lovely flowers.

Catherine said...

A very touching post.
You're so attentive, and romantic.
In my country we say you're "endangered species", someone who have qualities that are disappearing comparing to the great majority.
Patti and You are certainly lucky to have met one an other.

Becky said...

What a lovely story! You two are very lucky.

My RT is up. here, if you get a chance to stop by.

maryt/theteach said...

I was going to say Ralph, I hope you're getting another bouquest for Patti this year, but you sound like a pretty romantic guy! Patti has nothing to worry about! Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

Linda said...

You're right, sentimentality is not dead, it's living in Ansonia with the love of its life!

What a sweet post and what a sweetheart you are!

Leora said...

Lucky Patti. Beautiful flowers. Sorry to hear about the fire; but that was back in 2007? Hard for the little businesses to keep going.

Happy RT.

Kay said...

How sweet... it is who you spend your time with rather than how you spend it :)

Happy V-Day and RT!

Gattina said...

We have never celebrated Valentine's day. It just wasn't the use. Now it comes up here too since a couple of years, but it's too late, lol !

Raven said...

Aw... lovely story. May you and Patti have many many more wonderful Valentine's days.

Pia K said...

Such a sweet real life story, with memories like this of course you don't think it's a superficial holiday! I'm sure you'll find some other way to surprise your special lady come Saturday.

Tink *~*~* said...

It's terrible when a neighborhood business disappears, especially under tragic circumstances. It's like the end of an era. I hope you find a place for flowers that you like, else poor Patti won't get her due, and then what will become of you? ;p

Tink *~*~*
NEW at My Mobile Adventures *~*~*: RED Signs at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

KitchenMaus said...

I'd be glad to accept a lovely bunch as those!

Jim said...

Wow Ralph! Do you ever have those women all won over! Every one is calling you Mr. Wonderful. Does Patti ever get a little jealous?

I hope that flower shop could open up again. So many don't have enough insurance to get them back into business.

Happy RT! I have a 'Valentine cover' but it needed posting anyway.
..

Dianne said...

lovely flowers and wonderful memories

you and patti are very lucky

napaboaniya said...

Hope you'll be able to find another florist soon before Valentine's Day.
I'm also sure Patti will love flowers of any sort as long as they're from you :)

Happy Valentine's Day to the both of you :)