Friday, February 20, 2009

Winter exists for now...


I have been writing the weariness of winter. However, the greatest thing about winter in a four-season climate is that transition from Winter to Spring is worth the cold, darkness and leafless trees. The first 60° F day in march when everyone loses their jackets is always a glorious day, with spring feeling so close...A fleeting feeling, sometimes. Like April 6 1982, the Tuesday before Easter that year. A snowstorm dumped 12 inches of a heavy wet snow in the Hartford area. It was April. Although the snow was all gone by Sunday, a slap by nature to those anticipating spring by April...

This has not been a terrible winter, but the number of snow occasions has made the season a nuisance. But I have gone to the archives to pictures of a real storm, a true Nor'easter. Those in the Northeast remember this one, February 6-7 1978. At the family home in East Hartford, around 30-36 inches of snow fell, and then CT Governor Grasso ordered the state shut down from 6:00 PM on Monday to Noon Wednesday. It was awesome that there was no traffic to speak of. But shoveling the snow, was tough. Pretty snow with brilliant blue skies and such clean air made it a treat of sorts...it's not so bad!

2 comments:

Amazing Gracie said...

Wow! Having lived in SoCal all of my life, it's hard to imagine all of that snow! We used to drive up to Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead (south of LA) to throw a snowball or two but I've never had to shovel the stuff. I gather it's not a favorite activity.
~~~Blessings~~~

maryt/theteach said...

Ralph, I don't know if I remember that snowfall in 1978. But I was alive and married and living in our house so I'm sure we had to shovel (or maybe kids came around). And we were a LOT younger! :)