Thursday, August 6, 2009

Looking at the Sky - Wheat Fields Forever


Looking at the Sky returns, and I offer a simple view of the vast expanse of sky. In my younger and thinner walking days of 1983, I set foot in a gigantic wheat field in North Dakota. These farms are so different than the hilly land of New England. Flatter with far more rich topsoil here than the sandy and rocky turf we enjoy here. This sky is chosen as a typical Midwest summer sky, expansive with hot 95°F (35°C) temps, and the massive humidity - you can almost see the droplets of moisture dissipating over the plains. The amber waves of grain are literal and real, a bronze grain stretching to the horizon. See Tisha's fun meme and expand your horizons

13 comments:

Ms. Latina said...

What a beautiful pic! I am learning about Sephia pics and have been traveling the blog-o-sphere discovering new blogs because of sunnymama. Glad to have found yours too! Take care =)

Calico Crazy said...

Wow, just amazing. Funny how it's not just the land that's different, the sky seems so different as well. Great photo.

storyteller at Sacred Ruminations said...

Wow ... what wide open spaces and clear blue skies above this expansive wheat field. Kewl to see a younger YOU too ;--)

A question about Sepia while I'm here. I've looked EVERYWHERE imaginable in Photoshop and the only way I can change a photo to sepia is WITHIN a slide show. What am I missing???

Hugs and blessings,

Lisa said...

Looks like home to me... (I'm from Eastern Colorado) Love that big sky -- but New England is so lovely, too!

Stacie said...

This is an amazing photo! I love seeing the wheat fields for miles.

Bond said...

Super shot Ralph...we were all thinner at one point!

maryt/theteach said...

Great shot, Ralph! I have to agree with Vinny! What's growing in that field? :) Come visit "Work of the Poet" for an award from me... :)

DrillerAA09 said...

Reminds me of western Oklahoma.
Have a great week-end.

Kim said...

Great picture. You can almost see the field blowing in the wind.

I played along this week too. Come on over when you get the time.

Have a great weekend.

Amazing Gracie said...

Pretty to look at but I wouldn't want to live there! I'm not a flat-lander. I like your "amber waves of grain," reference because the plains are all a part of the union.
~~~Blessings~~~

Amazing Gracie said...

BTW: Thanks for your kind words on my "rant!" I really appreciate them.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

The Dakotas are beautiful this time of year when the wheat has turned golden. I was there in the late 70s...probably 1979.

We were both thinner back then, Ralph. LOL

Race said...

i love how the grains seems very golden, very beautiful and the vast expanse of sky made it more scenic!

http://www.horizonsweb.info/2009/08/looking-at-sky-on-friday-office.html