Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sepia Scenes - The plural of Ralph is...

Sepia Scenes, as per usual, brings me back in time. Monochrome memories are are a treat, the aged qualities a nice sepia enhances. Today, we travel back to 1957 on the observation deck at the Pittsburgh Airport. Grandpa (Ralph I) is to the left and Dad (Ralph II), flying back to NYC, is on the right. Notice how people also dressed up to fly in those days. Even Grandpa dressed up (minus the tie) to drive dad to the airport! The TWA plane is a Martin 404, and no doubt, a propeller turning turbulence magnet bouncing through the clouds. The past seems more alive in our favorite monochrome!

8 comments:

Leora said...

I feel like I know these Ralphs! You have introduced them before. I like the double-breasted suit especially.

JunieRose2005 said...

I like this picture...

lol-I like all old pics of times past!


Junie

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Everyone dressed better back then, I suspect. Still, I personally enjoy wearing jeans. ;-)

So when you were young and someone called "Ralph!" three people paid attention?

Tricia said...

Wonderful trip back in time! I'm going to have to pull out some old photos to post, it'll be fun

Linda said...

I'm afraid that people have lost the fine art of dressing up these days as it's more about comfort than looking properly attired!

Bond said...

I still wear a sports coat when flying...no shorts or flip-flops for me on a plane

maryt/theteach said...

People used to dress up in those days, Ralph, for everything! :) Great shot! Happy Sepia Scenes! :)

napaboaniya said...

To think in this current era, we even see people on flights in shorts and flip-flops!! tsk tsk...