Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Sepia Summer Skies


Sepia Scenes draws me back to old prints of airplanes in the air and on the ground as I captured a pair non-descript planes.

The sepia conversion
is not a big change from the originals, as the murky and humid summer skies were laden with moisture at New Haven (top) and Newark (bottom). These skies meant bumps when climbing and descending, and a blah view from below (but interesting looks inside the cloud)








The sepia gives a softer
glow to the gray, the steamy mundane views bit warmer (glow that is) of a steamy summer day.


Nothing special, but the mundane cloudy skies can be enhanced... Murk can be (and usually is) far more inviting in sepia!





10 comments:

Julie said...

I also think a washed out summer sky can look great in sepia and your shots prove it. Love the plane in flight.

White Forest said...

your abt me...impressive:)

napaboaniya said...

The soft tones of sepia works well in this shot.

kden said...

They invoke memories of a simpler time.

Carletta said...

Kden says it invokes simpler times. I was thinking looking at the last shot how 50's - 60's it brought to mind for me.
As always Ralph - a nice sepia subject well done!

Heidi said...

I have to agree with you that the sky is often more interesting in sepia. It has such a way of pulling out the depth that you didn't know existed there. Great airplanes. I have been watching quite a few aircraft in the sky over my house in the last week. They are trying to extinguish a fire. I love the way that they look so free flying high above us.
If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs. </a

maryt/theteach said...

I love the glow, Ralph! Happy Sepia Scenes! :)

Day4plus said...

Very nice. I love the soft glow you put on the pics. I will have to try that. MB

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Sepia warms up the airplane photos, Ralph. I like the effect.

Greyscale Territory said...

The sepia tone outlines the plane detail quite distinctively! Love how the planes are lined up like shopping trolleys in the second photo!