Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Steubenville Span


Sepia Scenes is the monochrome meme made up of soothing sepia. I notice that many things can distract from the shapes and forms of mechanical (not organic) designs.

I had posted this view in color before, but thought that a sepia take shows the stylish US 22 bridge over the Ohio River on our way from West Virginia to Steubenville, Ohio. The modern (1997) span is a cable-stayed bridge made up of concrete and other things. As the pre-stressed concrete on the towers and roadway is already gray, sepia tones smoothes things out. The beautiful and functional shape sits before us and gracefully reaches to the sky.

See Mary's site for many more excellent monochrome styles!

10 comments:

Annie said...

I LOVE this bridge Ralph. I never managed to get a good picture of it when I was back there even though we drove over it many time. Bummer.

James said...

That is one cool looking bridge!

maryt/theteach said...

Great sepia-izing of a very handsome bridge, Ralph! Thanks for participating and making Sepia Scenes a success! :)

Ellie said...

Great point to shoot this one - looks so grand - the first second I thought Paris. Great picture!

napaboaniya said...

In sepia it has got a pretty classic look of the bridge's architectural :)
In color I'm sure it brings out the live of it!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

I like how the elegant lines of the bridge stand out in monochrome, Ralph. And the sepia tones do indeed make the photo feel and look warmer.

Marice said...

wow nice shot ;) thanks for viewing mine :)

Jew Wishes said...

I like this in sepia, Ralph! The tones add nostalgia to the scene. I like the perspective and the lines...this is a beautiful capture.

Heidi said...

I think your right about color distracting from the elegance of the bridge. It looks great done in sepia!
If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm here at Cake Crumbs.

Bond said...

It is a very cool bridge and even more so in sepia