Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Illusory Sound Sepia


Sepia Scenes arrives again, and I am happy that we have our DSL back. Patti recounted our ordeal earlier. Happily, AT&T fixed whatever needed to be fixed, so all is happy in the Uplands blogosphere...

Here is another view from the Wheel-a-Thon. Taken on the West Haven beach walk, the landmark in the distance is Long Island Sound and the Southwest Ledge Lighthouse near the entrance to the shipping channel of New Haven Harbor.

Why the title? We know the view is of water. However, the soft sepia adds some texture to the surface. And, to me anyway, gives a different take on the flat surface. With a bit of imagination, though, the scape could almost be a wheat field in the Dakotas. An almost amber wave of grain, with the only twist being silos shaped like a lighthouse and sailboat on the horizon. Merely a different perspective...



7 comments:

Carletta said...

As soon as I opened your post Ralph I had a great sense of being back on Sunday drives and vacations with my Mom and Dad.
The shape of the sign and the wooden fence posts are indicative of the signage in the state parks we would often visit. This took me back to a gentle fun time. Thank you.
Very nice effect!

Annie said...

Good evening Ralph. There is something very much in my memory that is so like this photo. When I was a girl, I lived in Illinois at Great Lakes, and in northern Wisconsin where there are so many lakes to visit (and we did). I can't help but think of that time as the past has been much on my mind recent (a good thing, not bad). The lighthouse off in the distance is so inviting. I can almost hear the plantive cry of a foghorn on a bouy.

Small City Scenes said...

Imagination is a wonderous thing and I am glad ours are still in use.
Nice shot. MB

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I like this!! And I can almost see the wheat blowing in the wind! Have a great day!

Sherrie

Heidi said...

I can certianly see your amber waves of grain. What a great thought and what a nice picture.
If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Your imagination is priceless, Ralph!

It looks like an old-time photo of a vacation at the ocean - in fact, like many of the photos in my grandmother's album. ;-)

Linda said...

It could also be a large expanse of desert sand with a windmill and water tank in the distance when viewed in sepia.

Very nicely done as always, Ralph! And I'm glad you've got the DSL back!