Thursday, October 22, 2009

Looking at the Sky - Mountain Skies

Looking at the Sky gives us a reason to view the heavens in any weather and/or on any plain. The view is the blue skies over Mount Monadnock in the southwest New Hampshire town of Jaffrey. This is a print of a trip I made with friends in the fall of 1981. I was walking in those days, but my legs said 'whoa' to reaching the top of this rock pile. Had I made it to the top,the views radiate 100 miles in all directions. The area is beautiful, and this peak at 3165 feet (965 M) above sea level is actually in the Berkshires and not the White Mountains in the beautiful Granite State. No doubt, the sky says that it was a beautiful day on my visit. A wonderful mountain, to climb or simply admire...

14 comments:

Bond said...

Going up the mountains this weekend..Fall Foliage photos!

Stine in Ontario said...

Very cool, Ralph. Believe it or not, I have actually climbed that mountain a couple of times. Ans the view is truly outstanding. I did NOT know it's in the Berkshires, though!

DrillerAA09 said...

I guess it's about time to post a couple of photos from the Ozark Mountains fall colors. I do like your photo and the ruggedness of the mountain. Well done.

Anna said...

Lovely mountain sky!

Dimple said...

Beautiful shot. I love the mountains!
Thanks for visiting!

Roger said...

Awesome panorama! You have a great photographic library Ralph.

Carletta said...

Love how you reduced the mountain to a 'rock pike.'! :)
It's a beautiful image Ralph!

Joops said...

I love the combination of the lake, the hills and the sky... perfect!


Come and take a look some gorgeous parts of Mt. Seorak in Korea.

maryt/theteach said...

A lovely landscape, Ralph, and sky! We hiked the Green Mountains in Vermont back in the day! :)

Dianne said...

i like the dark shadows on the ground against the bright sky

Calico Crazy said...

What a lovely scene, very peaceful and restful.

Calico Contemplations

Ellie said...

I say - admire. My father used to take me hiking in the Balkans back in Bulgaria. I miss him. Now I prefer to admire the Appalachia :) I'm not so brave to go hiking. May be have picnic on the Blue Ridge rest area - that is about the bravest I can be now.

Linda said...

There are all sorts of layers to this particular picture along with a gorgeous sky! I'm not sure if I've ever seen this particular part of New Hampshire in person; it sure is gorgeous!

Leora said...

I have fond memories of climbing Mount Monadnock. It was great for introducing people to real hiking, because the top is all rock (which I recall was because of a long ago fire, not because of being above the timber line?).