Saturday, November 21, 2009

Shadow Shot Sunday - Southerly Sunny

An always fun meme is Shadow Shot Sunday, hosted by Hey Harriet. The season in Brisbane now is late Spring. In Ansonia Connecticut it is late Autumn. Obviously we await colder weather, and the days here are getting shorter and shorter. But with the season we are getting the substantial shadows from the south that make long shadows to the North.



I have today off and It is a brilliantly sunny day, and I am on the driveway looking for shadows. I inadvertently was spinning my 'chair on the driveway and saw this. And pushed the shutter button. The result is a long shadow of the photo 'artist' at work. Sort of, anyway...












This railing is along the ramp leading to the front door. The horizontal look is evident here. However, I like the light altering effect on the vertical portion - the railing slats shine brilliantly while the shadow clearly delineates each piece of wood. The long and the short are nicely accented by the sun inspired shadows.















While on the driveway, a shadow emanates from Patti's Hyundai. The shadow of the auto aims to the north. Much like a sundial shadow pointing the way...


Chasing shadows is not my profession, but is a really fun avocation. We were actually on our way to briefly see the kids at the U-of-Hartford and I was merely carrying the camera so we wouldn't forget it. I was not thinking about pictures per se, then these shadowy subjects just appeared. Never let a great shadow get away...

26 comments:

Sylvia K said...

You always have interesting and intriguing shadow shots, Ralph! I do like the "artist at work"!

Enjoy your weekend!

Sylvia

Stine in Ontario said...

I'm so glad you had your camera with you! It's not everyday that we get to see shadows of the artist at work. :)

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

I second demotion of what Slyvia just said.

Intriguing indeed, Ralph? TAking pix of itself is really cool. I always get taller than usual. *giggles

Enjoy your day, mate and have a blissful week-end.

Pacey said...

Oh, great shadow shots here Ralph, I liked the railing shot...and yeah chasing shadows are fun.

Catherine said...

always love those photographer at work self portraits - great shot

Sweet Repose said...

Ahhhh...a day in the life, it doesn't take much to make it grand does it...a breath of fresh air, family and the beautiful sun...I see it trying to peek out this morning in Iowa...but bleak is not all bad, at least it's not snowing...that hurt to say the 'S'word you know, so I'll dream of the sun through y'all's blogs...thanks!

Have a wonderful day

Patti said...

I like seeing your "artsy" side coming out more and more, my dear.


Happy Shadow hunting!

sarayutouched said...

never without the camera is what is is all about...ya never know what photo op might come along. if i had it in me to get up early to go into work...i could catch all sorts of wonderful shots along my way.

i'm glad your camera was in hand...happy sss.

jabblog said...

The more you look the more you see - great shadow shots! Never leave home without your camera . . .

Martha Z said...

Very good, the shadow of the artist with camera in had. It's an interesting self protrait.

Beverley Baird said...

Great shadows! You have a self-portrait in shadow!
The railing is an interesting shadow.
I have to remember to pack my camera more - I missed a fabulous morning sj=ky this week.
Have a great weekend.

Hot Fudge said...

Wonderful shots, Ralph, which just goes to show that you should always have your camera at the ready. I'm so glad I finally have a little number that's small enough to pop into my bag and is capable of taking reasonable photos. Here's to modern technology!

Maya said...

I have a self portrait today as well! They do make great shadows if you take the time to look.

Gunsside - Norway said...

Very good shadow pictures, fun to see how each day can be captured
ps thanks for the comment on my blog ;)

Dimple said...

Nice to see you! The shot of the ramp railing is really good, you had a productive few minutes before getting in the car!

Linda said...

Love that first shot of the photographer at work searching out shadows!

Sam said...

I like that one of yourself very much - a moment in time! Thank you for the "good lucks" regarding the HEAT down here in Sydney town! :) Have a lovely SSS!

Twinkle Star Art said...

Great shadows. Love the self-portrait!

Paula Scott said...

I love the self-portrait! And the rail and it's shadow seem like a paradox-the shadow defies the slats in the rail by leaving one an impression that it is solid.

Hey Harriet said...

Love that first one of the photo artist at work! You are very right about never letting a great shadow get away. I'm glad you were able to catch these ones to share. Hope you enjoyed your day off :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

excellent series of photos!

Gypsy Lala said...

Nice shadow, espeically the 2nd one.

maryt/theteach said...

Excellent shadows, Ralph, right in your own driveway! I lived 2 blocks from Kissena Park all my childhood and walked around that lake many, many times. I guess you didn't come over from Bayside to Flushing to visit it... :)

readingsully2 said...

Great Shadows....:)

Paz said...

I especially love your first shadow shot! ;-) Nice shadow portrait.

Paz

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

It's pretty crazy...all of these people chasing shadows around the workd - 'eh?!! We like your self-shadow shot...perfect!