Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Seasonal Sepia



Sepia Scenes sends us scurrying for seasonal subjects that may be enhanced by this subtle monochrome.

For me, I turn to Christmases past, here in 1971 (me at 16). Naturally, the triumvirate of Ralph I, II and III. This day was unusually warm as I remember, and the grass was the seasonal brown on Wickham Drive in East Hartford. The house was a sepia-ish yellow, the southerly sun was strong (see the shadows). Sepia brightens the brilliantly sunny, yet faded print appropriately.






This is around Christmas 1975, with six of the seven kids. The holiday snow is on the ground, no sun here. On the opposite side of the house, I chose a much lighter sepia edit. Since there was no sun to highlight, the choice to keep the glare muted and softens the look.

Christmas is a fine season by me, warm or cold, cloud or sun, frozen precip or none...Happy New Year to the sepia artists on Mary's great meme!


16 comments:

Martha Z said...

Sepia lends itself to remembering days gone by. I like the three generations of "Ralph", like a string of beads, continually added to.

Gena @ thinking aloud said...

I adore sepia pics!! they make things appear so timeless. particulary love the 1975 christmas pic!!! Gena

Small City Scenes said...

The Ralphs' have it!!! Neat shots. MB

Day4plus said...

Oops, wrong blog. See previous comment.
My sepia post is on this blog. MB

maryt/theteach said...

Ralph, the family, as usual, looks great in sepia! I love your full head of hair draped over your forehead like that... I bet you thought you were the cat's meow! (Boy that phrase sure dates me!) Happy New Year to you, Patti and the whole family! :)

Marice said...

great photos Ralph! Esp the first one, priceless moment!

u may view mine here, have a fruitful new year ahead!

Annie said...

Hi Ralph. I love the Dr. Who scarf. Way cool.

nadine1111 said...

Greeting from Bulgaria!Happy New year!

@nemonen said...

Great pictures in sepia,and lovely to see your family as well. Happy New Year!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

It's fun to visit your fond memories, Ralph. Happy New Year!

Patti said...

Oh those Ralves again! ha ha

I like both of these pix..and sepia suits them.

awarewriter said...

Sepia invokes nostalgia.

Diane AZ said...

The one with the three Ralph's is priceless! That seem like a nice-sized house for a big family. Everyone looks like they were enjoying the season. Happy New Year!

Gunsside - Norway said...

Hey Ralph
Fun to look back in time with you, and it is fine photo in sepia
- And I wish you happy new year

My contribution this week is a frozen boat at the dock in T√łnsberg

ramblingwoods said...

I think you are a year older than me..I need to get a decent scanner to scan my old photos...Michelle

Rinkly Rimes said...

There's something charmingly nostalgic about a sepia photo.