Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sepia Scenes - Sepia Siblings


Sepia Scenes is a showcase of monochrome images. Perhaps seasonal sepias work for this week

Then let's go back to the year 1964. In those days, the growth of suburbia, in this case 115 Wickham Drive in East Hartford Connecticut.

The neighborhood, like so many then also included so many route drivers hawking and delivering their wares. The fast growing neighborhoods brought such goodies as potato chips in cannisters (Charles Chips), milk in glass bottles delivered from the long gone A.C. Petersen Farms, and in this case, photographers.






As I understand it, a route photographer came by looking to take family pictures for Christmas cards. My mother had to get all seven of us dressed and ready for the photo.


So the top item is the 1964 Villers family card. The card was done in a light sepia, the portrait itself in antique. The B&W print has aged so is not as brilliant as new. But the faded look is from the past, and sepia gives it the look of the past.




See sepia in its monochrome glory at Mary's site!



18 comments:

Marie Höglund said...

So lovely :-) I guess your mum had a hard work getting you all to sit down and to be sitting all at the same time ;-)

Day4plus said...

What a neat shot. At least you all are smiling. MB

Your EG Tour Guide said...

What a nice looking family, Ralph! Look at all those happy faces. This photo looks great in sepia.

Gunsside - Norway said...

Yes there were other times, but a lovely Christmas cards you have at least here!

Marice said...

awww thats lovely! :) great treasure indeed! thanks for sharing :)

u may view mine here

Annie said...

You know - I've been here THREE times this morning. I keep getting interrupted. Here's a fast one just to say "I WAS here". LOL Happy Sepia Scenes.

@nemonen said...

Lovely family photo. Sparkling eyes before Christmas.

Patti said...

I love this photo! Always have.

Carletta said...

What a wonderful photo and keepsake!
I actually remember having my photo taken on our living room couch around 1956 The photographer had me try to catch a ball. I think I posted it some time ago. The colors of my jumper and shirt and the red velvet like couch would have been too much in color. :)

Tricia said...

My goodness, your mother had her hands full w/ 7 children! I love the smiles on all you kids faces! What fun!

Robin said...

Wow, everyone's smiling at the same time - that IS a treasure!

And Charles Chips in cannisters. I remember those. Yum!

maryt/theteach said...

You must bless your Mom, Ralph, for being able and willing to get the kids all dressed up for this Christmas picture which as become a wonderful memory for you! :)

Bond said...

I so remember all of those vendors hawking their wares...and milk in glass with the cream on top

Tricia said...

Thank you so much for the comment you left on my 'Old Family Photos' post - You're so kind!

Dianne said...

I love this!!
what a wonderful portrait

kaye said...

what a lovely picture of your family.

David C. said...

I remember the Nichols bakery truck coming by our house in the country. Seeing your family pics makes me think that similar photos of our family were probably made by an itinerant photographer. Thanks for this post.

Maria Berg said...

I like this old photos.

I wrote somethning very good " We search for unique shadows almost incessantly, and without warning they appear, yet not always apparent at first glance."
-YES!

Wedding outside is always very nice with the blue sky, but like you show now it is snow outside, MB