Thursday, January 7, 2010

Looking at the Sky - Steubenville Summer Skies




The past skies often tell a story. So for Looking at the Sky, we see the weather evolve over two days in these non-descript skies. Patti and I travelled to a college reunion to the steel mill town of Steubenville Ohio.

July 1999 was a seriously hot/humid month. It was all over the northern tier, and here was no exception. The top shot is on Friday among the hilly Ohio River city. The humidity was quite high and was forming some large thunderheads that sat just above the street. About 99°F (37°C) makes for mountainous cloud formations...















By Sunday, the heat departed. About 20° lower than Friday, the clouds are now the scattered fair-weather type that float lazily over the land. The lower humidity felt much better, the weekend change in the atmosphere welcomed.

There is nothing earth shattering about the pictures per-se, but as I remember the time, the change in the weather pattern then was most welcome. The changed sky tells the tale...

See Tisha's fun meme for the ever-changing character of the heavens...



13 comments:

Dimple said...

I've been to the midwest exactly once: in August almost three years ago. I remember many different skies, some just like these.
Thanks for the visit!

chubskulit said...

Wow Ralph, I am envy with your photos without a sight of snow. We still have a lot over here.

Happy Sky Watching, take care!

Joops said...

What a beautiful day!

My Sky shots.

Gena @ thinking aloud said...

Hi Ralph - lovely post!!
Gena @ thinking aloud

Stine in Ontario said...

I love those fluffy summer clouds, Ralph, the ones that mean the temperatures are warm but NOT hot! :)

DrillerAA09 said...

We could use a little summer in our sky this moring. It is hovering around zero here. Have a great weekend.

maryt/theteach said...

Beautiful summer skies Ralph! I posted a couple of old pix from 1989, Ralph, here if you want to see. :)

Patti said...

Ah, I remember the trip well. The summer of '99. Where does the time go, my dear?

Small City Scenes said...

I love the big puffy clouds---thunder clouds I guess. they look like they would be fun to punch. MB

storyteller said...

Lovely skies associated with delightful memories. My sister has just gone through all her 35mm slides and taken them to Costco to be transferred to DVDs. I'm eager to see the results and may do likewise because I'd like to reminisce as you do frequently. This week I've shared a Sunrise Surprise at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

fredamans said...

nice!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/01/sky-friday_07.html

Bond said...

Nice contrast Ralph...ever think about becoming a meteorologist?

Looking @ The Sky on Friday said...

I was thinking the same thing, Bond! When I see a cloud, I always think...Ralph would know what kind of cloud this is! :)

"Ever-changing character of the heavens", what a magnificent way to describe the sky!

Thanks for playing along.

Happy Friday.