Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Front Range Sepia

My 1984 trip to the L.A. Olympics began with a few days on the edge of the plains in Denver. I met my sister prior to our trip to LAX, our gateway to the Golden State. Not that the Mile High city was in the stratosphere, but I was used to maybe 250 feet above sea level so had to acclimate myself to the thinner air. What better way to vacation without exertion by driving and snapping the shutter on the Pentax (film) SLR?

Sepia Scenes therefore beckons with a look of stately grandeur. I am south of Denver along I-25, and being used to the hills of Connecticut, none higher than 2400 ft ASL, this unnamed mount is impressive. The golden plain seen in the original below is brilliant. So as to not detract from the majesty of the Rockies, I used an antique edit. The loud prairie grasses are toned down, allowing for a softer gradient from the land to the sky.

The variety of sepia can be found at Mary's monochrome meme!


8 comments:

Patti said...

Nice antiquing work, my dear, on these amber waves of grain ;-)

awarewriter said...

Yes, amber waves of grain. Makes the foreground stand out. I went to Denver a few times in the 1990s on business. Once in the middle of the summer. A lot higher than NJ and the humidity was so low the over 100 degree heat wasn't bad in the shade.

My first decent SLR (Yashicas don't count) was a Pentax Spotmatic I bought in 1970. Great camera and still is. I had to sell mine a few years later, but I picked up a used Spottie on ebay a few years ago. Built like a tank.

Carletta said...

I can almost feel the warm winds blowing Ralph.
Patty was perfect in her comment of amber waves of grain. The majestic mountains and the grasses truly depict "America the Beautiful."

ilanadavita said...

Very nice effect, Ralph.

foto CHIP Birgitta said...

I like this photo a lot. It has it all. The mighty nature, the grand landscape, the tiny wooden and artistic gate to the left, the cold mountains and the dry golden grass, the lonelyness in a breathtaking view

Small City Scenes said...

The greatness of the western plain. Always with mountains in the background. great images. MB

Heidi said...

This is fantastic! I love the way that your eye is drawn through the whole picture!
And it really looks great in sepia. Very nice job on the editing!
Thanks for stopping by mine!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Such lovely golden hues, Ralph!