Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Seasonal Sepia (2)













For the monochrome memeSepia Scenes, I return to the seasonal views of yore.

This is the final and oldest snowy picture of 115 Wickham Drive in East Hartford CT. It is around Christmas 1963, with snow on our landscape-less front yard. I think that it is Grandpa in the window, already having set the exposure on his Exa SLR camera. I guess that our Dad took the picture with the kids at play...

Note the car covered in snow, it is a SIMCA, a really obscure French auto in the USA, although millions were made. Dad did wear a beret...

Contrast the above view of Winter with the look of Summer. At the best vacations of my youth, the island sandbar of Brigantine, this in 1968. My opinion is that New Jersey has among the best beaches around (let the arguments begin!). The soft sand is a powdery sepia that invites your toes to sprint their way to the salty surf of the Atlantic.

Given some of the startled faces, the kids seem to think the water is a bit cold. A better kind of cold than the frigid Winter of 2010...

18 comments:

Linda said...

Great contrasts here, Ralph, though I think I'll take the ocean over the snow!

I'm not exactly sure why the Jersey Shore gets such a bad rap as you're right, there are some terrific beaches down there. Perhaps it's just all of the "other stuff" you have to go through to get to them!

I've been to Brigantine once myself a very, very long time ago - though perhaps not as long ago as this picture was taken!

Kramer said...

I hear that the Striper Fishing is good too, but I can't say, never been to the beaches. Think about that SLR camera that was cutting edge technology in its day. Love the snow that looks warm in sepia.

@nemonen said...

Summer and Winter. I like the winter photo most. A lot of snow in thoose days, and lovely sepia scenes.

Day4plus said...

Brrrsnow always looks cold even though it makes for pretty pictures. Love the beach scene.
MB

Marice said...

great post Ralph! love both :)

u may view mine here

Bond said...

Will argue that Long Island South Shore Ocean beaches are far superior, for the simple reason that they are East/West beaches and get a different wave/tidal action...the sand is a finer grain than North-South beaches...

Overall far superior IMHO

Shannara said...

Great posts and nice text to read!

Kris said...

Awww, nostalgia. :) Nice photos, indeed. And nice text.

Marie Höglund said...

That what I call contrast. I really love these old pictures and they are so lovely in sepia.

awarewriter said...

I like the NJ beach scene best Ralph. Of course you are correct about NJ beaches. I grew up in Phila. so down the shore was Wildwood, Ocean City, Atlantic City, etc. Now I live in NJ (22 years now) so I can't possibly be prejudiced.

Gunsside - Norway said...

This was a great contrast, I think I take the ocean over the snow ;)
-and I love your old photos.

Dianne said...

I think you're right about those NJ beaches :)

I love these shots!!

Grandpa in the window is wonderful
and the faces on the children in the water is precious

you bring memories back to life :)

Gena @ thinking aloud said...

Lovely pictures Ralph - as always love the old one (top one) assume the bottom one is newer just in sepia?! Gena

Robin said...

I'll choose Summer please :).

I grew up going down the shore to the NJ beaches (Sandy Hook for day trips, Wildwood for Senior Week, LBI for weekends, all sorts of fun) but I'm spoiled these days. The Atlantic's too cold for me, I'll take the tepid bathwater of the Mediterranean for my bathing pleasure. I could live without the jellyfish invasion each July though.

Patti said...

your last name is French????

l love when you post your old photos from those days of "yore."

haha- my word verification is "yorking"

Your EG Tour Guide said...

NJ might have the best beaches...maybe. LOL

Now I'm wondering what your last name is. ;-)

kaye said...

what a contrast--sun and snow.

Mikabella said...

I love the pics, history and memories that surrounds them. Great post Ralph!