Saturday, January 30, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday - Touchdown


Shadows are unique, they may faithfully replicate the subject or become a totally different take. So for this installment of Tracy's fun Shadow Shot Sunday, I present the latter. Or maybe not. This week's photos were recent scans from a fun trip to the Olympics in Los Angeles in 1984. It was a great time, but after ten days of vacation/holiday there I had to go home and back to work :>(

The picture is at landing at Chicago on a United Airlines DC-10. And this flight, UA108, was great. I had a seat by the big door over the wing, lots of space and the smoothest ride ever upstairs. The look of sepia and blue would work wonderfully in two fun memes, Looking at the Sky and Sepia Scenes. But what of SSS? This is where a shadow exists, but of what? And where? The wing, no. 2 engine and tail are seen in the shadow before and beyond the wing. It does not jump at the viewer, but ought to show up after a bit of time. If not, the (stock) photo below of a United -10 shows the profile of the items more clearly. I hope...

What I didn't capture that trip was on the flight on the same plane to Hartford. It was at night and the plane flew far above a thunderstorm, and the lightning flashes well below the plane illuminated the sky. No danger, just a fantastic light show at night. See the shadowy world of the photographer at Brisbane's own Hey Harriet!


28 comments:

bobbie said...

What great shots. I love the colors! Envy you that light show. It must have been fantastic.

Sylvia K said...

I love the colors, too. Terrific captures. And Bobbie is right the light show must have been fantastic! Have a great weekend, Ralph!

Sylvia

simchieinspires said...

A very nostalgic moment huh? Touchdown, seems like footy §;-)

Hey bro... love the earthy colour on the runway where sun shone the gave you a very cool shot. Lucky you, you had your cam handy *wink... I am too nervous when am in planes, so, I usually forgot my cam.

Have a blessed day.

MARGARET GOSDEN 2 said...

A great long shot!

Joops said...

This is a very nice capture man. Great shot!

Family Bonding Shadows

chubskulit said...

Great combination of two Memes. It's good to have a seat beside the window isn't it?

Princess Shadows, have a great weekend!

Cassie said...

Your words are as interesting as your shadow shot. Thanks!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We agree... there is nothing like having the window seat! We've never been to the Olympics....must have been exciting - perhaps some day!!

Sweet Repose said...

I love the little plane shadow and would've missed had you not said anything. I love to fly at the window seat, it lulls me into a dream state up in the clouds!

Jen said...

Very nice view of the big wing shadow Ralph-
Happy SSS to you

Serendipity said...

Great colours! I can see the shadow :)

Sam said...

Looking at a plane wing makes me feel excited because I'm always going on holiday when ever I get the chance to see one! Lovely shot Ralph - happy SSS to you!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

It's strange to fly above the weather, isn't it? Well, strange to me with my feet planted on the earth. I guess frequent fliers think it's pretty ordinary. ;-)

Hey Harriet said...

Oh I didn't immediately realise what it was, and may never have if you didn't reveal the answer. I love your big wing shadow shot. To witness that lightning show must have been so exciting. A little scary also I imagine. Or maybe that's just me. I'm a bit of a storm-scaredy-cat :)

Have a great week Ralph!

Greyscale Territory said...

Interesting how that shadow seems to bend away from the wing of the plane! And loved the detail in your post!

christina said...

Sometimes it´s nice to look back at memories and pictures help us a lot! Nice touchdown!!

Carin said...

Great memories! Glad I never saw such a fantastic light show, guess it would have frightened me a bit too!

BLOGitse said...

A thunderstorm up there - no thank you. I've experienced that lightshow and shaking several times and it's not fun.
But it was nice see your SSS pictures!
Have a great week ahead!

frayedattheedge said...

super photo, enhanced by your explanation!

Dianne said...

I love the wide open space, the feeling of motion
and the colors

Birgitta said...

Great shadow shots Ralph! To see the Olympic Games must have been fantastic!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Cool shot and what great memories!

maryt/theteach said...

Fantastic shot, Ralph! Excellent for SSS! I always pay close attention when I touch down. I like that the sun was low on the horizon... :)

Dimple said...

Lightning storms are magnificent, and from a plane above the storm would be doubly so!
Thanks for coming by.

Jane ... said...

Great wing SS! So glad your flights brought you safely home.

storyteller said...

I love how you share your memories as you publish your scanned photos ... bringing back memories of my own!
Hugs and blessings,

ramblingwoods.com said...

Your post makes me remember how much I used to love to fly and look out the windows...But no more... I needed a bit of help finding the shadow...but now I see it perfectly well...Thank you for visiting my post Ralph..Michelle

Jacqui said...

Ralph - I love your shadow from long ago - what a great idea! Thank you for your wonderful posts and insightful comments.