Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looking at the Sky - A very Good Year



The heavens beckon at times. Sometimes a lighter than air device, like any flying device, catches my eye. Yet there is the sky this vehicle is passing through, and that demands attention, too.

So for Tisha's wonderful meme, Looking at the Sky, I offer a capture of both. This is a scanned print originally from 1984, and the helium filled Good Year blimp is above. This was hovering over a venue at the Los Angeles Olympic games. The atmosphere is nice today, a bright sunset to occur in a non-smoggy sky. The blimp reflects the sunset, a blue-gray nice evening surrounds, and that is what we see here.

Given that my moniker is Airhead, I just had to look...


12 comments:

Anna said...

I was in Pasadena during those Olympic games! I didn't have a camera back then, so no pics, but I did go to one Olympic event - a soccer game at the Rose Bowl. I can't remember who played, but whichever team won went on to win the gold medal. I suppose I could look that one up.

Nice pic of the blimp. I've got a couple from 1990, but I didn't have much zoom, so the blimp looks really small.

Liz @ MLC said...

Great capture!

Carolyn Ford said...

Living in the Los Angeles area allows us to see that blimp quite often! We can always tell when the blimp is flying over because of its sound.

Stine in Ontario said...

I haven't seen that blimp in many, many years. Nice to see it on your blog, Ralph. :)

Grandma said...

It's hard to believe that there is any movement, almost as if it posed for the picture. Perhaps it's because it's captured in time.

My First Friday Sky: Memphis Sunset

BLOGitse said...

What a great good year shot! :)
Happy Friday from Cairo!

BLOGitsePHOTOS

Dimple said...

Nice shot Ralph!
Have a great weekend!

Calico Crazy said...

Cool photo, I haven't seen a blimp other than on television since I was in high school. ~ Calico Contemplations

Linda said...

I always thought that a trip in a blimp would be really cool as you're gliding along enjoying the view; I can only imagine how neat that would be!

fredamans said...

What an amazing capture, and the hue is interesting me too. Great shot on a classic!

Patti said...

Great capture, my dear.

happilyretired said...

I used to see the Goodyear Blimp often but these days it's a Fuji Blimp and I can't recall what else. (Advertising is lost on me ... I walk through stores singing jingles and usually have the wrong brand name ... seriously). Nifty shot!
Hugs and blessings,