Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Geography Lesson

(Note: This is an edited repost from earlier with a few edits. I never tire of looking at how travel was in the old days. Gravel roads? I wouldn’t miss them even if I remembered them...)



Sepia Scenes is a great meme where we can add the subtle sepia as we imagine the past

I have posted much about Grandpa. He was brilliant, but in West Virginia in 1916, eighth-grade was probably a milestone - the of his formal education.

However, he learned by doing. If not geography in a classroom setting, how about getting in the car, family in tow, and traveling around the USA to learn about the country? Grandpa photographed signs to show that he actually had been there...






I like seeing new sites, even if they are local. The term 'flyover country' indicates the way to get places today. In the real old days, to get home from Denver to Ohio, you passed through Kansas in a car without A/C on a dusty US 24 in part. The top view is from 1937 I guess, my father about ten (note the camera). Below, it is dad and Aunt Terry, and it is 1947. I would guess that this is I believe on US 40 East at the Maryland line (17.18 miles per this source), toward perhaps to the Villers favorite vacation spot, Atlantic City.

Sepia seems to tone down the glare from the original B&W prints, and the antique look seems to add to the ambience and mystique of the past. Follow the nice sepia edits at Mary's meme!

5 comments:

Patti said...

I love both of these photos! The sepia suits them.

Amanda said...

Such beautiful shots! I love the idea of taking pictures next to the state signs to show he's been there! Your grandfather was cool!

Stine in Ontario said...

I really like the old photos treated in sepia, Ralph. Love the license plate in the bottom photo. I'm thinking they might be your initials too. :)

maryt/theteach said...

Ralph, these are great sepia photos! They idea of photographing signs around the country is a great one! Thanks for being such a loyal participant in Sepia Scenes! :)

Barbara said...

I love your sepias. I didn't know there was another sepia sight. I've been posting on Sepia Saturday. Now I'll never get anything done!