Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Peoples Car


I guess that previous vehicles may be a recurring theme for me. So for Sepia Scenes, why not a sepia tribute to my all time favorite car?

A 1982 VW Rabbit (Golf) in a wonderful sepia beige. This is a color we don't see these days. I liked the lightness of the hue as well as the driving dynamics, a 1.7 L four cylinder with a manual transmission (as I recently noted for
SSS, I always enjoyed driving with a clutch...) When I had a set of Swedish
Gislaved tires installed, it was a blast to drive on curvy roads.

For this take, I used a lightened antique edit, as it kept the original paint sepia while accenting the view. The red streak...I guess that when I was winding the film on the Pentax K1000 back onto the spool - and opened the door, making for the odd exposure here as the light hit the film. But I like the effect of the error...




For the backside, I used sepia that was lightened a bit. In each picture, the beige is not altered much, merely highlighted.

I kept the car for 101,000 miles (163000 Km). We didn't sell it for bad reasons, but since Patti and I also had another 2-door VW (1985 Golf). and were expecting our first child (Allegra), we sold the VW with the highest mileage so we could purchase a Nissan Stanza wagon with four doors. Ironically, it was tan that was not far away from sepia itself (I think that might may be a fine sepia subject too :>)


See lots of sepia art at Mary's meme!



12 comments:

Bond said...

Dude, you knock me out with your metric conversions

@nemonen said...

Like it. I have owned some Wolksvagen. 1600 TL a red one and a Jetta. Liked to drive them both.

Amanda said...

Those were some long lasting cars... Of course, nowadays people can put 100000 miles in a couple of years! I still drive a manual. A 1996 saturn sl2 with 112000 miles. It can be a drag in stop and go traffic but otherwise is a good drive.

afv @ dharma shots said...

I can imagine this car before...great in sepia tones.

ilanadavita said...

Glad to see you hee too!
Oldish cars are great in sepia.

Leora said...

Ah, the fondness for the auto. It's the endearing subjects that seem to get the sepia treatment, your VW included.

Carletta said...

There used to be so many of them on the road.
I learned to drive a manual transmission when I was in college. I must admit I liked getting the car up to speed and shifting. With so much stop and go traffic these days I don't think I'd enjoy it every day.
This first photo looks right out of an old album as it should for our sepia theme. Nice work Ralph!

maryt/theteach said...

Two really fine sepia effects, Ralph! And I agree with you about the first pic! :)

awarewriter said...

Embrace the mistakes. Gives the VW image an heirloom look Ralph. I have't driven a stick shift in years. My wife never liked them.

I once had an old Volvo, the first model imported into the US. Looked like an old Ford in miniature.

The last stick I had was my first new car ever, an 83 Renault. I traded it in for a used T-Bird 5 years later.

Marice said...

that classic car looks perfect in sepia :)

u may view mine here

LDH said...

Well, I don't know so much about cars, but I really like the way you applied the sepia. Seems like you get it just right in each photo!

Daily Nourishment said...

this is a German car obviously..Volkswagen..HB has a red one! nice sepia shot!