Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday - Dodging Shadows

Shadow Shot Sunday is a fun meme hosted by Brisbane artist Tracy, and shadows as art appear at the most opportune times. Seize the moment and such.

I saw an interesting shadow yesterday, and had to utilize it. My new/used wheelchair (2008 Dodge Caravan) has a backup camera/mirror installed.

The giant shadow of the vehicle behind us is in the mirror. I had to capture it. The photographer is involved as well. The vehicle has to be in 'Reverse', and the engine dos not have to be running. Good thing, because if I were in reverse and moving and using a hand control and taking a picture at the same time - vehicular calamity in capturing this shadow was avoided...

Lounging on the dashboard is one of the bevy of bruins, with one of the stuffed bear retrieved from my previous Ford wheelchair van. He sits on the dashboard with a shadow and reflection. The view of the horizon is his alone, as he reclines and always enjoys the ride. This guy is the lucky one, all the others occupy the cupholders in the back...



This vehicle is smaller than my Ford, yet not really small. It leaves a shadow on this delightful sunny and warm for March day (71°F, 22°C). The shadow extends somewhat beyond the van, but a smaller one than before.

Reflections abound, as Patti's Hyundai sneaks into the frame...



The photographer decides to get into the mix yet again.


We only have 71 more payments on this new steed. Yet, to be afforded the independence provided by it, the costs are merely incidental. My old Ford may have a buyer, needing a wheelchair driver vehicle. So the circle is complete...

See shadow art at the Hey Harriet's meme!



27 comments:

Sweet Repose said...

I sometimes wonder how I get those shots out the truck window...I try to drive and shoot early in the morn, so as not to head-on anyone for that great shot...though I usually have a line of grumbling traffic behind me...oops!

Do not like those payment books, why are they always so big???

Have a great sunny weekend...I'm gonna go shovel snow...ARGH...it's off to the Caribbean for me(I wish)...YO HO!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

So, smart and artistic catching those shadows and refections.

You are one cool guy, bro & Patti is just a gorgeous angel.

Hope you both enjoy our SS w/end.

Take care both.

xoxo

Catherine said...

that looming shadow looks like a version of the SF movie The Blob - interesting way to capture a shadow shot...

Sylvia K said...

Really great and interesting shadow shots and I love your composition and perspective, Ralph! Glad you got the new vehicle and I know you'll enjoy it. Hopefully, the old one will sell quickly! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Stine in Ontario said...

I'm so relieved that you weren't driving when you made this shot, Ralph! Good sense prevails!

Only 71 more payments? I DO like your humour! :)

Rosebud Collection said...

Great shots, as usual..Much luck with the van, it is really nice looking.
Happy SSS.

frayedattheedge said...

a good collection of shots! Happy motoring in your new vehicle!

Hot Fudge said...

I love your new steed. My daughter's newish family vehicle has that reverse camera, which the kids think is a TV programme - cooler than the Wiggles!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

fabulous shots!

Manang Kim said...

Wow that is a great shot! You take time to get those and it is awesome!

ShadowShotSunday

Joops said...

The last shot is the winner!

My Shadow Shots

lynda Howells said...

love this clever imagexlynda

sarayutouched said...

...where will that next shadow come from?...your new ride looks very nice. i am sure it will try it's hard to serve you well!!

Greyscale Territory said...

I hear your pride in your new mode of transport! Great to hear and see! Love your various shots, but that last one captures a wee bit of smiling magic!

LDH said...

Wow, Ralph, you get the most creative shots! My favorites are the one with Patti's car and the one with the photographer getting the shot!!! Well done!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

hooray! great news about a possible buyer for your old van! You had us giggling at your description of you in reverse, driving, taking pictures Ralph! We just love your words - they are detailed just right!
Thanks too, for your words about our packaging...it is almost a lost art these days. Yes, we could save more $$$, but it's all in the service....!
Have a super week!

wanderlust said...

I love all the reflections!

Evelyn Howard said...

Looks like you had fun taking these photos. I had fun reading about you taking them :)

Paz said...

shadow shot sunday is fun. very nice shots you have here.

paz

Ann said...

I like your adventures snapping shadows. I have done a few but decided I have to many memes to post my photos.

Have a good Sunday.

Sam said...

Love, love that first shot especially! Super composition and mysterious. Sounds like you have a fine vehicle there - great you have (possibly) a buyer for the older one too.

All the best Ralph for the week ahead!

Dianne said...

the first shot has so much going on, it's fascinating!!

and I love how Patti's car is sneaking into your van

maryt/theteach said...

Yes, so many reflections, Ralph! Does your Caravan beep when you back up? Happy Spring! :)

Patti said...

We don't want any vehicular calamities!

Your photos are great.

Carolyn Ford said...

No calamities, please! You avoided them with wisdom! You were very busy with shadows this week. Isn't it nice to have the sunshine to create them? This looks like a great car that will give you much freedom to get out with your camera! What's a mere 71 payments? Be safe and enjoy!

Dimple said...

Very creative shots, Ralph! I haven't taken any pictures while driving for a while, I scare myself sometimes when I do!
Great reflections, too!

happily retired gal said...

You always manage to surprise and delight us with your creative photos and today's reflections and shadows are no exception. Wonderful post!
Hugs and blessings,