Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Fading Memories


The look of the past can offer a glimpse into that era. Such things as where dressing up meant more than wearing a shirt with a collar like today.

So for Mary's excellent Sepia Scenes, I return to the days of Steubenville and of course, a pair of grandparents.

Grandma is on the top photo, and I guess the time is the late 1940s in the steeltown of their residence. The suit is probably of wool, the hat is well coordinated and the animal - well, that was the prime dress-up accessory...

Grandpa is from 1957, I believe, based on a series of photos that places him on a visit to our family in Bayside Queens New York. This may be on the Circle Line or Staten Island Ferry. The overcoat is stylish, the tie is in place and his hat was blocked with a style of substance.




Note how the skyline of lower Manhattan is so different without the modern glass and steel towers we see today.

Time and less optimal storage of the photos have left them faded. The recent scans allow me to at least have the legacy of the persons, time and place preserved digitally.

The sepia adds a soft ambience to the B&W prints. The past shows an elegance of appearance, where doing something special meant dressing nicely. And they did...


14 comments:

Marie Höglund said...

Lovely pictures of your grand parents. I really do like your sepia posts every wednesday. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I used to have an overcoat like that - seems to be all anoraks these days for keeping warm.

Amanda said...

Most definitely the earlier generations knew how to dress! Very cool glimpses into the past! Love the skyline in the background of your grand father's picture!

Annie said...

Good morning Ralph. I'm always impressed by the similarity of feeling these old photos share with others of that time. The hair, the clothes, the formality of their styles. And old New York looks wonderful. The scene changes with time, but the ferries are still there doing their jobs.

Patti said...

OK, so you have four comments vs. my one.
I see who the popular kid is around here!

Don't forget to visit me.

EG Wow said...

I love seeing your family photos, Ralph. Lucky you to have such a great stash!

Marice said...

Granma and Granpa look really great on those photos :) both perfect on sepia!

u may view mine too here

Gunsside, Norway said...

Thanks for sharing your photos and read your comments.
Good looking grandparents, nice sepiapost ;)

Carletta said...

What wonderful photos!
I can remember as I kid we had to dress to go to 'town' on Saturday; but everybody did. Good clothes, good shoes. I couldn't wait to get home and change. :)
You're so lucky to have so many photos of your grandparents. Thanks for sharing with us Ralph.

Uh, tell Patti she needs to get on the Mr. Linky list before you. :)
I love you guys!

fredamans said...

I love how confident your Grandma's stance is. And your Grandfather looks like a fun man. Great shots!

maryt/theteach said...

Great shots, Ralph! My mom had a fox wrap like the one your Grandma wears. The clip was made out of the fox's mouth... :(

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Isn't it interesting that men and women always seemed to dressed up back then with a hat on. No baggy jeans down to there. My Dad always wore a fedora when we were growing up. It was the norm back then. Nice pictures and memories. Valerie

LDH said...

These photos of your grandparents are very nice! Ladies and gentlemen looked especially dapper in those days! I notice that in my old photos too, that they dressed up far more frequently than I do today.

MyMaracas said...

What wonderful photos and memories, perfect in sepia. My mother had one of those mink things too, and my grandfather always wore a hat like that. I remember when everyone dressed up anywhere special - a restaurant, church, on a plane or train. Wouldn't it turn heads if we did that now?