Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sepia Scenes - City Siblings


Sepia Scenes brings me to the past (again - how unusual!), and that is 204-07 35th Avenue in Bayside Queens, the photo date stamped APR-57. Like a recent post, the trip to ‘the City’ , you dressed the part. NY in 1957.

Note that two-year old Ralph and three-year old Michele were dressed up. However. the ladies Grandma and Aunt Terry were dressed up in fine wool suits for our trip into Manhattan. Check the hats in their smart 1957 designs...


Grandpa always liked to chronicle the event, be it grown-ups or grandkids.

The B-W film was the accepted way for photos back then due to cost. Therefore, these are always great to transport into the soft monochrome.

It seems we kids are happy at the prospect of taking a trip! See sepia art at Mary's excellent meme


8 comments:

Carletta said...

Another wonderful glimpse into your past Ralph!
The ladies look gorgeous in their finery. You and Michele are equally as cute in your dress up clothes.
You always have wonderful examples that show us just how much time has changed and maybe, just maybe, not always for the better. :)

Kris said...

You are so lucky to have so much of your past documented like that. Photos like those are treasures I know many people miss. And the shots are priceless! You kids are adorable and the ladies look sooo spiffy! :) Thanks for sharing this. I absolutely love it!

EG Wow said...

It's fun to look back at the styles of the 50s, isn't it? I'm so glad women don't wear suits and hats like that now! I guess we'll look back on some of todays garb and think it's just as funny, though.

The kids (you and your sister) look adorable though!

kaye said...

I agree--what a treasure to have so much history available to you. I love the fur :) My mother used to wear a mink coat and a rabbit jacket.

Amanda said...

Great pictures! You definitely seem happy with anticipation about the trip!

LDH said...

Great change from B&W to sepia. Everyone looks so nice all dressed up and two very cute little ones! Nice shots and memories, Grandpa!

Patti said...

I love these photos, Ralph. You are indeed sentimental.

earn money at home said...

How neat. I love the tones. Sepia has always been my favorite color scheme over simple black and white. I think sepia gives photos a little something extra. I just used some old sepia photos of my mother onto some party favors for her 60th birthday and she absolutely loved the keepsakes with such wonderful memories on them.