Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Bayside Sepia


It is fun to reminisce as we look through old B&W prints of our past. Sepia is a nice enhancement to views of our past, the bronze enhancement adding a warm monochrome to our memories.

So for the host of this fun meme, and Borough of Queens native Mary, I go back into the past - again. And Sepia Scenes is the place to reminisce of a place in time. The apartment at 203-11 42nd Avenue in Queens NYC.

On the left is sister Michele in the center, with sisters Claudia and Sharon to her right. I am guessing that the girls surrounding Michele is Debbie, her little sister Lynn and Patty.

On the right is Michele (second grade) in her school uniform for St. Kevin's School (195th Street I believe) and newborn sis Suzanne Marie. The oldest and the youngest in 1962.

A sepia warmth seems to permeate the warm memories of Bayside. We moved when I was in second grade to East Hartford Connecticut suburbia, yet the concrete canyons around the old apartment seem memorable today...

13 comments:

JunieRose2005 said...

Ralph,

I always love seeing your sepia scenes from your past! These are ALL very pretty little girls!

Junie

Marie said...

As always old and very interesting photos from old times. Love wednesdays when it´s time to "meet" you. Please have a great week.

Annie said...

It's always such a pleasure to peek into your past, Ralph. Love the little wavy-haired moppet.

Kramer said...

I adore the old images given new life and rememberances with the digital age, and the sepia seems like natural fit.

EG Wow said...

You have so many wonderful photos to help you remember so much of your childhood!

napaboaniya said...

Always a pleasure to see your old photos in Sepia :)
Sepia do bring out a nostalgic touch in them very well.

kaye said...

concrete canyons--I like how you described that.

Patti said...

Love both of these photos in sepia ~ you are so sentimental.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

cool shots

Gunsside said...

How nice to follow you,
great memories from the past :)

Felisol said...

How the memories get this wonderful tint of sepia as time goes by.
You must have been a very lucky family, maybe luckier in retrospect than you knew then.
I think that was the case with my childhood.
I was very happy, when my daughter told me the other day, that the time till her 6th year washer luckiest.
With a firm childhood firmament , one can cope with most of life's small and great challenges.
I feel blessed every time I visit your site, just because of your ability to treasure the star moments of life.

maryt/theteach said...

Ah, St. Kevin's, Ralph. I went to St. Mary's and wore a sailor's uniform - middy blouse and navy skirt and red or blue scarf... It's great you have these photos from long ago...

Leora said...

I enjoy these shots of "old" New York - they remind me of ones from my own family, without the Catholic school uniforms.