Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Capitol Sepia


Sepia Scenes allows for this monochrome to add a warm character to many subjects. The formality of the classic look is made softer.

This picture has been posted in color before, but impresses me every time I am in Hartford. It is the State Capitol of Connecticut, designed by noted architect Richard M. Upjohn, and first opened for the General Assembly in January 1879.

The style is High Victorian Gothic, a revival of earlier styles in the 1700-1800s. It is constructed of New England marble and granite and crowned by a gold leaf dome, which can be seen for miles away, especially when the sun is shining. 

The Capitol was built at the then cost of $2,532,524. I could only imagine the cost to replace in the same materials today.This grand structure seems to wear sepia well, adding to its elegant and dignified style...


10 comments:

Lennie said...

Gothic architecture is very beautiful at it is. This picture makes it even more beautiful :)

Kramer said...

Elegant, dignified, looks good in sepia, and I like the 'gothic" in its name.

Leora said...

Hartford does have impressive architecture. At first glance, I thought you had visited Moscow...

Marie said...

I just love the gothic architecture. A bit of spooky I think. Lovely Ralph! Thanks for sharing.

EG Wow said...

The architecture is very beautiful. I definitely speaks of days gone by.

Carletta said...

I love this style of architecture.
I like the light tone of sepia you used Ralph and especially like the sky above the dome. There is almost a pinkish tone there.
Nicely done!

Ma.links said...

Great shot! Really cool building.

Rose said...

I am thinking I would like this best in sepia without even seeing the regular version...it is just perfect for sepia.

Cassie said...

Where's Ralph?? Lookin' for your Shadow Shot!

Sarah said...

It looks as if it is in Paris to me-the style of those rooves looks very French. I bet that dome is spectacular in the sunshine!