Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sepia scenes - New as Old



The look of the past, the shapes, styles and detailing evokes a charm, where the architect aimed for a stately elegance. I usually see period photographs (made off glass plates) of such dwellings in a faded bronze, a perfect hue.


So for Sepia Scenes, I thought I'd try to capture that style while in real time. Patti captured this house on a nice street in New Haven. I would guess that it was built somewhere between 1880-1890. The turret on the roof with its hexagon (my guess) dome is my favorite detail.


To attempt to capture the old look, I eliminated the utility lines to make the scene feel old. The wire that remains is nearly hidden between the second and third floors. You can see it, although it almost seems like a styling element. With the sepia and the matte edges, it adds a bit of age to the frame. See more and more sepia at Mary's meme!




12 comments:

Kramer said...

I feel like you capture the moment of the house, and its architecture, aptly. Te wire, just sort of a modern update.

(Personally, I've given up on trying to avoid the myriad of wires strung through our lives.)

Annie said...

Well done, Ralph. Yes, removing the wires really helps to establish the historic sensibility of this home. Here's another thought. I like using a dark vignette around the edge of a sepia photo. This gives it the feeling of an old tintype. Give it a whirl.

Harris Channing said...

Very nice capture. When I see homes like this, it makes me long for a time when they were new and archutecture was classic and beautiful.

http://harrischanningauthor.blogspot.com/

EG Wow said...

I really like the matte edges and wish I had done that to my photo! Excellent, Ralph!

Ruthi said...

very true... the look of the past evokes charm. this kind of architecture has a certain kind of appeal to me that's hard to describe. great perspective though. Keep it up.

Gunsside said...

Very nice, i really like this capture ;)

ps.thanks for your comment !!

Manang Kim said...

This house is perfectly beautiful. I think in those days this one is considered a mansion. The dome like on top is rare for a house to have. Thanks for sharing!


SepiaScene~Daisy

Ma.links said...

Amazing photo. I could easaly live in that beautiful house.

Robin said...

What a fabulous house, growing up I desperately wanted to live in a house with a turret :).

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

bettyl said...

That's a great shot for sepia. Looks like a house with lots of space.

maryt/theteach said...

love the house, ralph! you could have posted it for window views too! :)

Marice said...

great job Ralph! the editing and the shot is perfect! you have achieved what you want to be the photo to look like :)

u may view mine here