Monday, July 5, 2010

Ruby Tuesday - Variety is the Spice


Ruby Tuesday arrives this week, and the four-day (for me) weekend offers bits of red here and there.

To drive anywhere requires the key to be switched into the ON position. I notice the variety of reds that sit in front of me. So, the mix of red warning lights are tested at start up. So away we go... 


Patti the passenger is always helpful as I navigate and pilot the Dodge while looking for pictures as we are in motion.

This is Welch Hall of the old campus of Yale University in New Haven. This building, a freshman dorm, on College Street offers a red brick that covers this 1891 beauty. Arches and turrets are always stylish, totally lacking in modern buildings.

The old campus at Yale offers architectural gems from bygone eras. One day this summer, when then is less heat and humidity, and before school begins in August, a trek around Yale for photo meme subjects (rubies, sepia, sky and shadows naturally) will be taken in earnest...


At Michele's picnic in East Hartford on July 3, between courses and before the local fireworks, activities for the small children are available.

Such as the fun Slip 'N Slide. This classic has been available since 1961. So parents in the know always bring swimware along with the obligatory two changes of clothing to a summer event.

Brother-in-law Bill is a fun guy, so as his granddaughter was getting wet, pa-pa joined in the fun. There is probably a sound reason that the suggested weight limit should be adhered to (heavier weight = more bruises), but Bill was quite graceful as he landed belly first with an elegant slide...Reds abound, so capturing them is never a challenge. See ruby art at Mary's great site!

23 comments:

chubskulit said...

What a fun celebration, I love the Welch Hall shot. Patti did a great job taking it.

My Ruby Tuesday could be found here

maryt/theteach said...

Love the red slip and slide and Patti's great architecture photography! :) Happy Ruby Tuesday, Ralph and Mr. Linky is there now!

bj said...

ah yes, Mr. Ralph...I remember that my 2 kiddos had Slip and Slides and we also had bare spots out of our grass where the slide was ....:)) Fun, tho!
Thanks for your pretty reds...
xo bj

EG Wow said...

The slip and slide looks like a lot of fun...to watch. I'm not good when it comes to bruises. Nobody wants to see a grown woman cry. :)

Felisol said...

Three main subject in one post. Great. So many red signs including the brakes would have made me nervous. I like green when we drive. (That is; I am always the passenger).
Love the Dodge. My first love was my grandfather's 7 seat Dodge with a real ram in the front. Gunnar and I had a Dodge tradesman with sleeping place for the three of us. Great V8!

Yale is what I know to be one of two important American universities. Just as impressive, as I thought it would be.

Joy at the beach, that's summer to me too. Look at the girl's happy face. Durale joy, happy memories for life.

Robin said...

Slip 'n Slide's are so fun! The weight limit's not just for bruises though - my fairly slim husband accidentally ripped one, they're not meant to handle an adult's weight.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Maria @ LSS said...

What fun!

eileeninmd said...

It is wonderful to have a four day weekend isn't it? I hope you had a great 4th of July. Great finds for dyour Ruby Tuesday post. The wet slide looks like fun and cool too. It is really hot here.
Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Marites said...

Bill sure looks like having a blast. Such an impressive building and it's good to see that it's quite well-maintained even it being old.

Happy RT!

Leora said...

You have a nice selection of shots today. My daughter would love that slip 'n slide thing. And the Yale building is grand, especially at the angle you chose.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

warning lights
keep drivers aware
and thus safe

Carletta said...

I can only wish that my college dorm looked that good. :)
I think with the temps on the East Coast at the moment that Bill had the right idea!
Wonderful rubies Ralph!

Jesson And Rey Ann said...

nice post!

Eaton Bennett said...

Ralph, Your photos look like a good time was had by all. I love the one of your brother-in-law enjoying himself. hehe. :))

My RT is on Silently Mine.

siromade08 said...

Looks very fun celebration. The warning lights looks cool it saves your life by keep on looking on it. You had an interesting post here.

ilanadavita said...

Great series, a susual!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Zero miles per hour?
That’s what speedometer says—
ah, driver at rest!

Ruby Ripe Tomatoes!

Manang Kim said...

One time I was driving going to my friends house and all of a sudden a BRAKE sign is blinking and it's red. I was rattled but not in a panic mood. So when I reached my destination I called my hubby and he came to check it out. Anything red means panic right? hahahaha! Happy Tuesday!

Marice said...

great photos! esp the last one :) and first photo, what a great idea! :) thanks for the tip!

u may view mine too here

nonizamboni said...

What slippery fun! And probably the only way to enjoy this weather these days.
Will look forward to more Yale shots--very reminiscent of the U of Chicago campus too.

Dianne said...

lookin' real young to be a grandpa, maybe slip n' slide is the key to youth :)

Susan L (lily40au) said...

a slip and slide is the most amount of fun ... and leads to some very funny accidents in my experience!
My Ruby Redness

ellen b. said...

Oh ouch for Bill! Love that great brick building! Happy Ruby to you...