Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Colorado High


I like the look of a soothing monochrome on an old photo. So Sepia Scenes arrives nicely this week. The picture is my guess from 1920 or 1921. The subject, of course, is Grandpa, at an age of maybe 20 years. The place I believe to be Manitou Springs near Colorado Springs. As a young man, I knew he spent a couple of years in California before returning back to Steubenville.

Perhaps a made a stop off here, after the long train climb over the Sierras and Rockies from the Golden State. I guess the spring water was bottled there, and Grandpa stood nearly at tall as the container. A gentleman who always seemed cool.

See more sepia at Mary's meme!

11 comments:

Harris Channing said...

What a great shot! I love old photographs...Grandpa is a handsome fellow!

ilanadavita said...

Nothing like old photos for a sepia tone.

Kramer said...

Something about that generation and heading westward for adventure.

Excellent sepia image.

ruthi said...

what a classic! nice!

Marice said...

cool photo and so is your granpa! :)

u may view mine here

Pblacksaw said...

I love old photo's too.. grandpa was a looker..

Small City Scenes said...

Very classic. Good ol' Grandpa.

Thank you for commenting on my blog. The Snohomish River is quite a ways north of Sea-Tac but at least in the same state. MB

Ma.links said...

Really interesting shot.

Patti said...

Ralph the first was a cool dude, there is no doubt.

maryt/theteach said...

Great, Ralph! I am soooo thirsty! Cool spring water in sepia! :)

Annie said...

Nice, Ralph. The memory of train rides from my youth jump in here. Alas, there seems to be little of it anymore.