Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Steeple in Sepia

Sepia Scenes arrives again, and this monochrome may be stylish, warm, mellow. Any or all.


Sepia and steeples is a combination that works well, and what do we see in New England often in town centers are Congregational churches in white.


This is our church, completed in 1837, the First Congregational Church of Derby (CT). The look of the past, stately being the best description of the look of the village worship hall.


I added a light sepia which showcases the vertical motif from steps to steeple. I like the feel of a warm sepia to make soft the stark vertical look. Soothing, the Puritan look of stern has eased considerably,. See more sepia at Mary’s stylish meme.



10 comments:

Linda said...

The sepia rather makes this look like it was taken back in the 1800's when the church was built. What a great steeple, too. They just don't build 'em like they used to, do they??

Ilana-Davita said...

Your sepia tone seems to highlight all the verticle lines. Thanks for sharing your own place of worship.

Patti said...

This photo came out really well. It has that old-fashioned feel to it.

Manang Kim said...

Everytime I see a steeple I knew it's a church and I am always right. Great shot! Happy Wednesday!

SepiaScene~Welcome

EG Wow said...

I agree that this looks very appropriate in sepia, Ralph. And the warm monochrome makes the steeple look like it's reaching very high into the heavens.

Ma.links said...

That is one beautiful church.

Jew Wishes said...

What a capture of pure nostalgia and loveliness. I love the warmth emanating from the composition.

jeannette said...

You chose an angle that brings out the squarish as well as the round forms -very intriguing!

ruthi said...

Church's steeples never fail to amaze me. I am always fascinated by them especially when I see them from the distance sticking out from lines of tree as I drive down a hill. Nice photo.

Dina said...

Hey, you have a steeple too! A beautiful photo. And your church is even older than the one in Jerusalem that I just posted.