Saturday, August 28, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday - Shoreline

Shadow Shot Sunday is hosted by fun Aussie Tracy in Brisbane - and we hope you feel much better this week! 


When the weather cooperates,   shadows occur in expected places (or maybe not). Given that the early part of the week was rainy and gray, the first nice day was yesterday.


I was in New Haven to pick up Cam at Union Station for the 5:30 train. I had time - and the point and shoot had an empty memory card...



I drove around the Long Wharf surveying shadowy specimens. On top, construction of the replacement I-95 Quinnipiac River Bridge. Structural steel offers shapes that work well for SSS. (As an aside, this replacement should have been built 20 years ago - rant over).


This office building is called the Long Wharf Maritime Center, and has a pleasing shape that throws lots of shadows and reflections. I like the scaffolding, adding character (and a slight shadow, too




The pleasing shape of the building is lovely, and the offices facing the water (with much higher rents, no doubt) get a view that is outstanding, that of the harbor, Long Island Sound and the outline of Long Island, NY 12 miles (19 km) away.


A nicer day I have yet to see in august, with delightfully dry air and temperature of 77° (25° C), and a sky blue that sparkled over the shore and carried far inland



Nearby is the humungous IKEA store. The sky, shadow and sun when combined with the distortion from inside the windscreen adds a shadowy glow (if there is such a thing :) to the massive structure. 


I really like this store, the room displays creative in the stylish Swedish designs - and furniture of high quality as it is designed to be put together easily.


The last view is a fair weather menagerie of clouds. This is similar to the meme Looking at the Sky that I participated in yesterday with a similar shot. The question I have is that a shadow on the underside of the cloud? Perhaps I am taking liberties, but it feels like a shadow...


See many more shadows at Hey Harriet!
S

27 comments:

Sylvia K said...

It does look like a gorgeous day, Ralph! I love the beautiful skies and their reflections. Your photos are terrific as always! I love the reflections on the building. And who doesn't love Ikea??? Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy and take lots of photos!

Sylvia

frayedattheedge said...

Hooray - got all your photos this week! A super collection os shadows. Your Ikea looks just like ours ..... do you have Swedish meatballs for lunch when you're there - it's the highlight of our shopping trip! The storage box/table in the new summerhouse (in today's post) was bought on our last visit to Ikea.

Tom Hilton said...

Nice. That last shot (the dramatic clouds) is my favorite.

BLOGitse said...

It's funny how Ikeas are the same wherever you go! :)
Thanks for sharing these shots, have a great weekend!

chubskulit said...

Love that cloud reflection on the second shot of the building! I am fascinated with the shadows on the cloud too.

Shadow Shot Sunday Post Have a great weekend!

Cassie said...

I like the cloud shot best, and it sure feels like a shadow to me too!! In another week I'll be able to get some of those north eastern ShadowShots. Hope I remember my camera! Happy SSS to you & yours Ralph.

Birgitta said...

Great collection of shadows!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

cloud menagerie—
here a dog, there a kitten—
beware the dragon!

Sam said...

Another adventure! That maritime building is very smart looking and impressive! It looks a bit Egyptian to me...? Not sure why. Even though the Ikea building is not so handsome I am fond of it all the same as most of the furniture in my apartment comes form there! :0) The clouds are lovely too! Have a lovely week ahead Ralph!

Sarah said...

Lovely shots Ralph. I like the crosses on the bridge, thin interesting shapes in the building and love the idea of a 'shadowy glow'. I think that they are shadows on the clouds too-definitely!

Serendipity said...

It looks like a lovely sunny day! I like the reflections best - like stripes!

Greyscale Territory said...

Love how each image has an interesting story attached! A wonderful variety of shadows from the man-made structures, but I love your interpretation of a shadow on a cloud! Beautiful!

Tete said...

Very beautiful!
Tete

Beverley Baird said...

The bridge certainly has interesting shdaows. Love the clouds and sky shots!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

What a marvellous series of shots, the first one is fantastic. I can't believe how big that Ikea store is, it certainly is 'ginormous' Like a small city.

Mind you I live in a country that only has 4million people, so it probably is like a small city to me.

Eden said...

Fantastic shadows you have here, Ralph. I love the shape of the building too. The size of that Ikea store is similar to the Ikea close to where we live. I love to shop there.

Hey Harriet said...

Yes it looks like a shadow on the underside of the cloud to me Ralph! What a super collection of shadows this week. I love wandering around IKEA. And the highlight for me is the swedish meatballs, just like it is for Anne (frayed at the edge). Oooh, now I have a craving for some swedish meatballs! I feel a trip to IKEA coming on :)

Qwave À la carte said...

Men Made Marvel VS Nature Marvel
Visual Treats
Me Heart :)

Arija said...

The shadows under the bridge are great.

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Seems U had a great day roaming around in this wonderful day.

Wow! enormous! fav shots really. Love the bridge shadow. Fantastique!

Happy SS
/chubz

sarayutouched said...

i do believe that the underbelly of a cloud does count as a shadow ralph. i like the light pole at the bottom...they add their own detail to photo.

Lucka said...

Great shadows. The photo with bridge I like the most.

anka said...

Sounds like a great day! Love your shots.

EG Wow said...

You were really in the shadows this week, Ralph! I'm fond of IKEA stores too.

Sweet Repose said...

I have never been to an IKEA, maybe someday when my style changes from old to utilitarian, maybe I'll make a visit...nahhhhhhh...me likey old too much!!! Ha!

Have a great week ahead, hope you get some sunshine, it's been hot, humid and no rain here in Ioway.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

we were just talking about shadows under the clouds this week Ralph...funny you mentioned it!!
Love your pictures of New Haven - we love the stripes of the building and the contrasts of the shadows! Wishing you ha great week ahead!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

I like the cloud shot! I do think that it is a shadow on the bottom. I think the cloud is so dense that the light is blocked out on the bottom...just like the shadowy underbelly of the bridge. Although maybe we need to call in an expert for a final ruling;)