Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Sepia by the Sea




Sepia Scenes arrives as I attended my non-profit's  fund-raising event. The Wheel-a-Thon was held near the beach on Long Island Sound in West Haven.


The day was beautiful, the blue sky reflecting nicely on the water. Yet this is hardly sepia - but the sand is. The seawalls  and jetties can be accented in this monochrome quite well.


The top photo offers rocks and concrete, and the light antique edit adds a subtle monochrome. And a nice touch here, as the often obnoxious seagulls are making nice in the briny waters...


The next view is all sepia. There is more sand, a weathered wood fence, more passive gulls and  piers. The beach looks fine in this hue.


The high tide (9:15 AM) is now receding. Of course with the miniscule wave action on the sound, the high tide encroaching a mere 6.2 feet (1.9 M). This was a day to savor, the sepia as warm as the late Summer sun. See more sepia at Mary's fun meme... 

9 comments:

Marie said...

Ralph, looks like you had a awesome day there. Please have a great week.

maryt/theteach said...

I would love to have gone there, Ralph! I'd have stuck my feet in the water... :)

ruthi said...

Thanks for sharing this Ralph, I love the sand, the sea and the sand. It's already Fall and the beach will be too cold for me to go now. At least this reminds me of what a wonderful summer I had.

Annie said...

Good morning, Ralph. Lovely day, so nice even the birdies behave. Gulls make fun photo ops though, just for their antics alone. Love the top picture and its subtle hues. Hope your fundraiser was a great success.

EG Wow said...

It's wonderful that the-powers-that-be chose a lovely day for the event. I would love to be at the ocean on such a day, Ralph!

Lui said...

Idyllic scenes to inspire advocacies. Good luck, Ralph!

Kramer said...

Reminds me of our coastline, worlds apart...

Birgitta "foto CHIP" said...

I like the first photo best. Very nice compesed and I also like the open sea :)
http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/09/23/Sepia-Scenes.aspx

jeannette said...

Beautiful - the shots are each so different!