Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Tunnel Vision


Sepia Scenes returns, and we continue the search for subjects that may be enhanced by this warming monochrome. Today it is a tunnel bored through an outcropping called West Rock between New Haven and Hamden. 

This seven-mile long ridge that tops out at a height 700 feet (215 m), and consists of trap rock with a vertical motif, and what warms up well in Sepia but gray rock? The rock itself is part of the Metacomet that extends from Long island Sound to Vermont. And what warms up gray rock better than Sepia?


We are now Inside the West Rock / Heroes Tunnel that carries CT Route 15 through the ridge since 1949. 


CT Roads describes the tunnel as follows: “The 1,200-ft dual-bore facility is the only highway tunnel in New England going through a land feature. The hill at West Rock State Park isn't particularly tall, but tunneling through it proved to be the best choice… The tunnel was built in less than a year for $2.5 million ($25 million today)…it’s hard to conceive of a tunnel being built that cheaply from scratch today”




Unlike the grand tunnels like the Lincoln and Holland in NYC, the low cost meant no stylish additions like off-white ceramic wall tiles to brighten up the interior. So, a light antique sepia improves on the usual gray concrete I’d say…

Mary, we all await the 100th Sepia Scenes!


10 comments:

Linda said...

Cool shots, Ralph!

I think I've only been through this tunnel twice in my travels as I'm not usually on that part of Route 15 but I knew what it was as soon as I saw that first picture. Next time I go through it, I'd be willing to bet you and this post come to mind!

Kris said...

Kinda looks like a tunnel I know of near me. I dislike tunnels. My cousin is phobic of them. Sepia does make them look "nicer" though, that's true. :)

Annie said...

Never been through this tunnel. I dislike tunnels. I will be sure to find a detour.

ruthi said...

i like tunnels... i like the suspense and the feeling of anticipation of what is waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.

Pialotta said...

So wonderful shot in Sepia .. Tunnel of love;)

Cassie said...

Your sepia tunnel shots are very cool. It's like stepping back in time!

maryt/theteach said...

Thank you Ralph! Great post as usual! :)

EG Wow said...

I like the tunnel in sepia. It may not be as fancy as some tunnels but it does the job. As long as it was built well that's good enough for me!

Lui said...

Wow, now that's an amazing tunnel and a great sepia shot!

Ann said...

I can see the light of the tunnel. The first tunnel I went through was the Canadian Windsor/Detroit tunnel. Before that, in Sibu Borneo, we lived in a swamp. Nobody built a tunnel. So I was very excited to cross this tunnel.