Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Vehicular Geography

Note: This is an edited repost from earlier with a few edits. I never tire of looking at how travel was in the old days. Gravel roads? I wouldn’t miss them even if I did remember them...)


Sepia Scenes is a great meme where we can add the subtle sepia as we imagine the past

I have posted much about Grandpa. He was brilliant, but in West Virginia in 1916, eighth-grade was probably a milestone - the end of his formal education.

However, he learned by doing. If not geography in a classroom setting, how about getting in the car, family in tow, and traveling around the USA to learn about the country? Grandpa photographed signs to show that he actually had been there...





I like seeing new sites, even if they are local. The term 'flyover country' indicates the way to get places today. 

In the real old days, to get home from Denver to Ohio, you may have passed through Kansas in a car without A/C on a dusty US 24 in part. The top view is from 1937 I guess, my father about ten (note the camera). Below, it is dad and Aunt Terry, and it is 1947. I would guess that this is US 40 East at the Maryland-Delaware line (17.18 miles per this source), maybe aiming toward the Villers favorite vacation spot, Atlantic City.

Sepia seems to tone down the glare from the original B-W prints, and the antique look seems to add to the ambience and mystique of the past. Follow the nice sepia edits at Mary's meme!

11 comments:

Annie said...

Good morning, Ralph. Love this history of "Where I Was" you father created for your family.

Birgitta "foto CHIP" said...

This is wonderful and the photos really great!
I shoot signs to remember where I was ;)

http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/09/01/Sepia-Scenes-98-e28093-The-right-wing.aspx

jeff campbell said...

I love these scenes...priceless...Peace and blessings

Marice said...

timeless shots indeed!

u may view mine here

EG Wow said...

I remember this from before, Ralph, but both photos are charming and I really don't mind seeing them again!

ruthi said...

Ralph this is amazing. Your grandfather is awesome. He learned the natural way... by doing. As a teacher I prefer to teach my kids showing actual things than photos.

And his photos are awesome. So sepia.

jeannette said...

Your shots are perfect for sepia scenes!

Patti said...

I love both of these photos. And sepia suits them.

bettyl said...

Great nostalgia shots!

Kramer said...

Always inspiring scenes with associated text and tales, thanks, man.

maryt/theteach said...

Wonderful sepia shots, Ralph, as always! :)