Saturday, September 11, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday - Pâtisserie

Shadow Shot Sunday by Brisbane native Tracy is a fun meme that descends like the shade falls from a tree - especially on a sunny day.


However, overcast days (like today in southern Connecticut) add a qualifier to any shot - can enough of a shadow show up to allow for an SSS post?


With just enough light outside, I think so. This is one of these wonderful and quirky places to dine simply with no pretensions. This being the La Petite France Cafe in Hyannis on the Cape...


Our intrepid Maître d'Hôtel stands in the corner, waiting to provide exceptional service while not being intrusive. True, there is a slight arrogance in his demeanor - service without a smile maybe, but service nevertheless...

Actually, this was a place for a simple early morning breakfast. To enjoy an authentic baguette, the basic yet fabulous long thin loaf of French bread. No yeast, small yet with that chewy crust. 


Served warm, naturally, and pulled apart to place real butter on the insides (Margarine? Au contraire!). With a strong cup of coffee, we sit at the outdoor tables as the vacation town's Main Street is devoid of the tourists who will arrive later in the morning...


Shadows exist on a cloudy day, we have to look into the alcove and under the eaves to find them, which we do with a breakfast of carbs and butterfat - what's better than that??


See so many shadows at the meme of our favorite fun Aussie, Hey Harriet!


26 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

Nice. And now I'm hungry. ;-)

Cassie said...

Glad I just had breakfast, or else I'd have to at least find a piece of bread and some real butter! Neat ShadowShots Raplh.

BLOGitse said...

Real butter it must be...
Lucky me - it's soon dinner time here! :)

Catherine said...

I love quirky places to start the day for breakfast - and yes I can spot a few shadows too - Greetings from Mexico...

fredamans said...

Looks like a great start to the day!

Beverley Baird said...

A fun shadow for the week! Love the chef - he even has a reflection!

frayedattheedge said...

The gremlins are at it again - I couldn't see your last photo, and now my comment has vanished - ah well, I will just have to have some baguette and butter to make me feel better!

Maggie B said...

Hi Ralph
Pushing the envelope a little with your shadow shot but show me anything French and I'm happy.

Patti said...

It is a fun place for breakfast (or should I say petit dejeuner?)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

At the French café
we dip day-old croissants
in café au lait.

Joops said...

I bet it's always nice to dine in there.

Shadow Shot at my page.

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

not keen on crusty baguettes - too hard on my teeth but I'd love a toasted teacake.

Sam said...

Hot baguettes and butter - my idea of heaven! I'm quite partial to that other French bread the sweet cakey brioche too. It sounds like you have a very fine time there sipping your coffees and nibbling on hot bread. I love that this cafe has a hauty fellow out front!

Have lovely week!

Serendipity said...

There's a nice reflection in there too ;-)

Paula Scott said...

No doubt, the quirky places are the best! Much better than those cookie cutter chain restaurants! And, it supports the local economy.
All of a sudden, I have an urge to get a cup of latte...

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Hmmm... I can smell the fresh coffee!

Drooling, unfortunately it's half past 11pm now bro? Am on the way to dooze off.

Your rock with all your posts pix! Very sharp and alive. Keep up the good work.

Have a fab w/end.
/chubzC

EG Wow said...

Sounds like a great breakfast treat, Ralph!

Sweet Repose & Junk Revival said...

Mmmmm, sounds like my brunch of baguette and bean sprouts, with avocado spread...and of course hot, black coffee...does it get any better'n that!!!?

Hope you had a wonderful day awaiting the sunny side of life, this time of year we enjoy every drop of it, we know what lies ahead...brrr...!

Dimple said...

Sounds like a perfect breakfast!

chubskulit said...

Nice, I wouldn't say NO if hubby will treat me to eat breakfast there hehehe. Great shots Ralph!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Can anything be better than crusty French bread?!! Now you've got us thinking warm chewey bread Ralph...not good at all at 11:24pm!
enjoy the rest of your weekend Ralph!!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

nothing better than crusty warm bread with real butter,I love the reflection in the doorway, as well as the subtle shadows.

Hey Harriet said...

Now I'm craving like crazy a baguette smothered with butter! I wish I was there right now enjoying a yummy breakfast! Cool photos Ralph and I'm glad you enjoyed the morning spent at that cute looking cafe :)

Greyscale Territory said...

A fun and quirky post! Love the welcoming service icon at the door!

Woody said...

very subtle shadow, which makes it even better!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Your description makes me hungry Ralph:) Subtle shadows...and I like the reflection too!