Monday, October 25, 2010

Ruby Tuesday - Nautical land rubies



Ruby Tuesday arrives, and red is the theme. When in doubt, old and unique autos work welI for this, as they were on my RT radar when I saw them...
This top item is an Amphicar, made in (then West) Germany from 1961-1965. This is neat, check the twin propellers underneath, the exhaust sits above the waterline, and per US Coast Guard regulations, it is full of floatation devices. This car is even has a Connecticut boat registration.
A compromise that works neither well as a boat or a car, it is still quite cool...

Perhaps a land yacht instead is more your idea. Perhaps this 1961 ruby Chevrolet Impala. Built in an age of great size, compared to the diminutive Amphicar this is a a container ship compared to a canoe. Acres of sheet metal, you probably need a Coast Guard license to berth it into its slip parking space. Stylish and a stunning ruby.

See more rubies at Mary's fun meme!

20 comments:

EG Wow said...

I guess the idea of an amphibious car never took off but it sure does look interesting!

Leora said...

Wild looking cars. Neither look like batmobiles, but they bring back memories of Batman and Robin racing out to something or another.

chubskulit said...

That looks so sharp, am sure car lovers would be thrilled to have one like that.

Rajesh said...

Great idea used for the car. Beautiful shots.

judi said...

I took driver's education class in an Impala, '61! cool.

reg said...

This is such a cool car

ilanadavita said...

I'd love to see an amphicr run, or whatever the verb is for amphicars, on water.

maryt/theteach said...

I laughed, Ralph, when I saw those 2 propellers under the car... :)

Auntie E said...

Oh yeah.. let's go in the water... Somehow I do not think we will stay afloat.

Dianne said...

I love the lines of the car, especially the fins

eileeninmd said...

I had a laugh at the decription land yacht. Great photos and lots of red showing here. Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Kebeni said...

what a strange idea, does it really go in the water? I love your shots too

DrillerAA09 said...

Love the Chevy. Thanks for stopping by Drillers's Place.

BJ Roan said...

The amphibian car wouldn't do me much good out here in farm country, unless I should decide to go fishing at the pond. ;) Lovely rubies!

Mel Cole said...

Looks like a covertable car from land to water and vice versa. Cool!

Come & check me out with My Ruby Tuesday here

Stephanie V said...

Hey! I remember them. They were supposed to be the next Big Thing back in the day.

Robin said...

How cool, it looks very Get Smart. (The original, not that awful movie remake.)

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Paz said...

Very cool cars and the perfect color. ;-)

Paz

Johanna S said...

What a cool car - beautiful red !!

Pagan Sphinx said...

Wow! Too cool for school! Great shots of it, too!

Ciao,
Gina