Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Shattered shutter






Sepia Scenes returns, and we look for subjects that are intriguing yet can even be improved by the addition of this soft monochrome.



Earlier this year, I stumbled over a number of old B&W prints taken by Grandpa, the photographic Sage of Steubenville. I scanned many from the 1939 World’s Fair, held in then bucolic Flushing Meadows in the NYC borough of Queens. Some include my dad as a then 11 year old.




This one jumped at me. I believe that  this is a photo of a photo, perhaps a postcard. Yet the speed of the impact can almost still be felt by the viewer. Given that the photo was B&W and faded, a light antique adds a bit of character to this unique frame.




See Sepia from new to old at Mary’s meme!

8 comments:

Jew Wishes said...

What a fantastic shot! The sepia enhances the mood behind it.

Robin said...

What an amazing shot, you really can almost feel the wind as the ball rushes by.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

kaye said...

that does jump out at you--nice pick this week.

Kramer said...

I adore visual whimsy like this!

Linda said...

Very cool and I bet very high tech for back in the day!

Perry said...

Cool shot. Amazing what we could do back then! (......all our digital equipment can't make it better!)

Annie said...

Wow, what a cool shot. Imagine actually conducting the experiment and TAKING the picture. Love it.

Marie said...

Wow Ralph! A really cool post.